Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:12 AM   #21

LTZ470,

That is an interesting piece of equipment. Haven't seen anything like that. I actually see fine on the LCD screen though. It's the viewfinder that gives me problems.

shoturtle,

I only mentioned the z950 for it's HD video ability. That would satisfy my husband. I would probably wait a bit on this though. We do have the H5, the Coolpix, and even an old S600 that my 10 yr old uses now. Another p&s might be overkill. Though, I really dislike his L20.
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:20 AM   #22

I have old point and shot, that I still uses. I have a canon A460 that I use when I go motorcycle riding. Not to worry about dropping it. And it still takes nice photos. But I have couple of point and shoots.

Rollei flexline 250 4x
Olympus stylus 820 8x
canon A460 5x

and I am actually looking at get new 8x or 12x zoom as I really beat up my stylus. It saw allot of traveling and uses for a point and shoot. It is slowly dying on me. So I have been seriously looking at the panny ZR1, the photos from it are very good in the point and shoot category.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:38 AM   #23

My suggestion would be to order the Pentax KX from Amazon as they have the 30 return policy with the two lens kit (kit including 55-300mm lens) and try it out for 30 days then return it and give it some thought...I do that all the time with Canon Lens and have gotten the lens in my kit that works for me and my photos...thats whats important...I have sent back as many as I own right now...

Another thing about camera equipment I paid $$$ for is I was looking at the prices now as opposed to a year ago and most of the items I own have went up $200-300 in price...so good photography equipment doesn't lose it's value easily...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 4:46 AM   #24

Hi just been reading your first post and I see one of things you want is a picture of the disney castle at dusk well to get a good one you will need a tripod as we are talking low light. Remember when making your choice that you will be carrying it around. It is something you get used to, I take one body and one lens to the parks I find that I can take most pictures I want to with a 55-250 you may choose a different range lens for your needs. going to SLR type cameras also opens up a world of shooting in RAW as opposed to JPEG, this should be something you should think about.
You looked at some models which is good so it time to think what you need I usually sit down and list what it must have and what I would like and then my budget. This way i get my choice down to 2 or 3 and then its down to how they feel and what they offer.
Remember SLRs you are buying into a system so look at what might be an upgrade route as well. Good Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:02 PM   #25

I apologize for being "missing in action" last night (08/26) but my severely handicapped husband was really sick last night and I had to shut down early.

The dialogue we have going is quite impressive. I think that we have covered lots of ground, and that is great. However, this morning (08/27) I am going to suggest a whole new possibility in our strategy: a different DSLR camera, and no, unfortunately, it is not available in purple.

As it appears that the pivotal issue in this discussion is really about adapting to LCD screens and viewfinders, I feel that we really need to face up rather quickly to exactly that issue. Purplee, please take a good look at the Sony A-500 camera. It has the very best and fastest LiveView, phase detect focusing in the entire camera industry. Focusing is very fast, both in the viewfinder, and even in the LiveVIew. In fact, it is the fastest phase detect LiveView focusing available. And as Shoturtle mentioned, most camera makers, like Pentax, use contrast detect, not phase detect in their LiveView systems.

The A-500 is available with the kit lens at $570 or with the body only at $580 from Amazon who offers that "bullet-proof" 30 day guarantee. I am suggesting that you purchase the A-500 body and then purchase the Tamron 18-250mm lens for around $350. That way you have no extra lenses to cart around. You have a one lens solution with the viewfinder versus LCD/LiveView problem fully addressed.

The Sony A-500 is a very good camera, fully capable of high ISO shooting and it uses the same Sony manufactured imager that is used in the Nikon D-90. here is a link to a Sony A-500 review: http://www.alphamountworld.com/revie...and-conclusion. And here is another review:http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html.

What kind of image quality can you expect from the Sony A-500 when using the Tamron 18-250mm lens?? Please just click on this link for a high resolution image taken with exactly that combination:http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...6_dbvEJ-XL.jpg

I sincerely believe that the biggest obstacle in this camera choice situation is the viewfinder versus LCD/LiveView problem. The Sony A-500 nicely solves that whole problem, while reducing the size and weight of your camera kit. Get that Kodak Z-950 camera ($125 at Amazon) with 10X optical zoom and HD video for those times that you don't want to carry a DSLR camera with you. That way you have the best of both worlds while at the same time, solving your viewfinder versus LCD/LiveView problem.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:59 PM   #26

Let me make a long story short. You know it's time to move to a DSLR when:

1. You are not happy with the IQ of most pictures you take with your current P&S and your current P&S is a new model praised by most. I say this because if you happen to have a 5-year old P&S with 3 MP and a 1.8" LCD, the unhappiness is obvious but does not indicate a necessary upgrade to a DSLR.

2. You miss lots of shots of your kids because they move too fast and your current P&S can not keep up with it.

3. You are disgusted with all the noise on your images shot in low light conditions.

4. You love everything about your current P&S but you are getting more and more into photography and coming across many limitations, which prevent you from exercising your creativity.

5. You have money to spend and don't know where to...so a DSLR will certainly help you with that...you can buy lenses till your heart's content!

Obviously this is a very short and straight forward list and choosing the right photographic gear is far from being this B&W. However, people some times get carried away thinking that all P&S cameras are inferior than any DSLR and IMO this is far from the truth. There are plenty of bad DSLRs out there as well as excellent P&S. So, determine your needs and limitations of your existing equipment first. If most limitations can be fixed by a DSLR but not a P&S, then the decision becomes an obvious one - time to upgrade to a DSLR. On the other hand, if you find that some P&S could potentially make you happy and fulfill your needs, then don't be so tight up on the DSLR idea. Instead, go to the stores and check the various equipments out for feel, ergonomics, build quality, size, practicality, looks, etc, etc, etc., pick 2-3 possible contenders and then check the forums to see what people have to say about them.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:12 PM   #27

LTZ470:

The Amazon idea is a good one, I will definitely keep that in mind.

wave01:

Size is something I am taking into consideration as well. The Disneyland picture isn't as high of a priority as some of my other, but you're right, I'd expect that a tripod would be more helpful in that situation, but is also not very practical.

Sarah Joyce:

No need to apologize. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I've been a bit slow to respond myself. I was kind of kidding about the purple camera. I would make a camera purchase based on color, not so practical!

The LCD vs VF is an issue. One of the reasons I think I've been conflicted with my final choice. You make a very sound argument in favor of the Sony, I will read up on the A-500 and give it some consideration. You mentioned the Tamron 18-250. I did a little searching and was having trouble finding one for around that 350 price. I read, I think on b&h that it was discontinued. Is the 18-200 version just as good, minus that extra zoom range of course?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:19 PM   #28

no the 18-200 is not as good. But with the A500 you do lose HD video. Which can be useful at times of the impromptu video clips.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:23 PM   #29

PS
Tamron is discontinuing the 18-250, they will go with just the 18-270 in the future. The pentax and sony mounts will most likely come sometime next year.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:36 PM   #30

The HD video isn't at the top of my list. I'm sure it's handy, but it's not a deal breaker. I think it was higher on my husband's list than it was mine