Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:47 PM   #31

Not sure if you have tried it out at a store yet, but when shooting a long zoom lens like the Sony 70-300G or the tamron 18-250 is is actually very difficult and frame in liveview. it is a bit awkward to handle.

personally I would go with a two lens option over a megazoom lens. You get more distortion with a all in one lens. They are not bad, but still behind a 2 lens option. But if I were to have to pick a 1 lens option the tamron 18-270 would be the one would go with.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:09 PM   #32

I will keep that in mind. We were out shopping today at our outlet mall that also has a Sony outlet store. They had the A500 body but without a lens attached. We were in a bit of a hurry so didn't really have time to get a good look or ask if they'd put a lens on it since they had a few there...
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:18 PM   #33

If you do get a sony dslr like the a500 or a550, do not waste the money on the sony 75-300mm. It is a very poor lens. Will cause allot of distortions that you will need a ton of pp time to correct.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:10 PM   #34

I will definitely research the different lenses before making any decisions. I understand that you can have the best body but if you have a poor lens it doesn't do you much good.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:16 PM   #35

yes, the best body mounted with a poor lens will give bad results. I was just reading a thread where they looked at a t1i mount with the 75-300 form canon, which is also a poor lens, the image quality was no where near what they expected. Buy higher grade lenses tend to be allot more expensive.

The sony 75-300 is about 200 dollars. The sony 70-300G is about 800 dollars.
The tamron 18-200 is about 270, the tamron 18-270 is about 550 for the sony.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:52 AM   #36

purplee-

That is unfortunate that you were in a hurry and did not get a chance to handle the Sony A-500 with a lens on it, as that camera really would be a winner for you allowing you to use either the optical viewfinder or the LiveView with ease and very, very rapid focusing.

We have plenty of Sony lens experience here in the Forum, and I shoot with Sony as well, so we can find you the lens you need at the right price. However, the Sony 500 equipped with the Tamron 18-250mm lens is a great combination and you never have to change lenses or carry any extra lenses with you.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:27 PM   #37

Well, I got my new glasses yesterday. I did use the viewfinder for shooting pictures at her birthday. It was very, very bright outside and I was having issues with the LCD. It worked out pretty well.

I don't live far from the outlet center so I will try and get back there again this week.

Diana
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:33 PM   #38

If they can, put a long lens on it, that way you will get a really good idea if it will be easy to handle when shooting off the lcd. It is easy to shoot with the kit lens 18-55mm.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:50 PM   #39

Just make sure the a500 they have is not a refreb. It is is not new, it only has a 90 days warranty. Sony style are currently listing some refrebs.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:00 PM   #40

The outlet store usually has new items. But they also had the a500 at Frye's. I may go there just to do another comparison now that I have more information. It seems difficult to find a store that carries anything other than Nikon or Canon as far as DSLRs go.