Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:16 PM   #11

shoturtle-

I am not talking about the FZ-35 at all!

The KX with kit lens = $500
Needed extra lens* $300

Total $800

*The distance from the bleachers to the basketball playing floor equals 65 to 75 feet which is too far for the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:22 PM   #12

Yes the pentax da 55-300 is more expensive if brought later for 350. But you can get a 167 dollar tamron 70-300 DI LD if price was a concern later on. From 70-200mm it is pretty sharp, from 200 to 300mm it does fall behind the DA 55-300.

If the open went up about 200, this is available.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...530&lid=627063

Or this, with a little less reach, but not much of a push to the budget
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A3228965
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Why is so hard for you to admit that a $500 budget will not be sufficient??\

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:32 PM   #14

For a one lens kit, it is possible. That is what I am saying. You do not always need to get all the lenses at once. I got 10 lenses for my dslr, and it took time to build them up, and upgrade at time. The is one of the nice thing about interchangeable lenses. You can always get one later. And the pentax k-x by itself is right around the 500 dollar budget.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:47 AM   #15

There was less light in this stadium than at a basketball gymnasium (I'm talking about a 2000 or newer gym not a 1950's gym like we played in)
And these shots were at 1/640 shutter speed so are you absolutely sure you couldn't get shots at a Basketball Game with an FZ35? I beg to differ...I am going to make some games this fall and get some shots to post for sure....I think the FZ35 is getting badly underated...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-seaworld.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:12 AM   #16

Hi and welcome reading your post you want to upgrade your present camera a couple of questions have to be answered. Do you want a one camera do it all or a camera that you have to change lenses on. The later option is the best but also the most expensive. My advice would be go to a shop and look at a few different types of camera see how they feel. This way you will have a idea which way to go and what you fel comfortable holding and carrying around. Good luck and we are here to help
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:00 AM   #17

Thank you so much for all of your insight. I think I need to do more research and would agree that a trip to actually test some of these cameras is a good idea. I see pros and cons with both the zoom and dslr cameras for what I need so I will just need to decide what my priorities are.
jlucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:16 PM   #18

I think both Sarah and Shoturtle make good points. I tend to agree with Sarah, though. DSLR is not for everyone. I know may co-workers and friends who were bought into the DSLR idea based on the fact that they can perform better in low light, have a faster AF system and produce better images all for a very reasonable price tag. However, once they got their cameras, they soon realized that it was too much work, too much carrying around, and in the end the cameras stayed nicely stored at home. Eventually, those people ended up selling their DSLR (with a couple of exceptions) and replacing them with P&S for practicality, portability, flexibility, all w/o much compromise in terms of IQ. I've seen some pretty amazing stuff coming from the FZ35 and I think the OP would be vary happy with one.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:26 AM   #19

This would be a good start...30 days no hassle return...I have bought 5 used FZ35's so far and everyone are like new and in perfect working condition from Amazon Warehouse Deals and B&H...B&H only has a 15 day return policy though...
http://www.warehousedeals.com/Panaso...source=froogle
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:06 PM   #20

To be honest, it FZ will not work that well for the action you want to shoot. It will not be able to keep up in the AF department.

The DSLR is faster in the AF department, but depending on how far away you are, the single lens may be to short. But like I pointed out, down the road if funds become available. You can add more reach with a longer zoom. While the point and shoot you can not increase the AF speed no matter what.

You can try the prefocus method. But it may not give catch that moment you want if you are on the wrong area.