Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:03 PM   #1

Default What camera to buy

I am looking to upgrade from a point-and-shoot and don't know what to get. I take lots of pictures of my children both inside and outside and would also like to use the same camera to take pictures of them in sports (basketball, football, swimming). I would like a viewfinder, a good zoom and have heard that I should spend my money on a good lens. My budget is $400-$500. Any advice is appreciated!
jlucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:40 PM   #2

Are you looking for a dslr option?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:50 PM   #3

I don't know. I don't know enough about the different types of cameras available to even narrow it down at this point.
jlucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:58 PM   #4

well there are the megazoom which really are point and shoot camera with long reaching lenses. But like point and shoots they are limited in low light ability and action shoot.

The next option are EVIL cameras that lets you change lenses, and uses dslr sensor. So you get the low light performance of dslr, but they use lcd's and electronic viewfinders. So they are not as good for shooting action. They have a lead on the dslr for HD video. And they give you all the control of a dslr, and the menu system of the point and shoots when shooting in auto in scene modes and such. It is a much easier transition form a point and shoot.

The the dslr, they are much bigger, and are better design for action.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:17 PM   #5

jlucier-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Your $400 to $500 budget does not realistically allow DSLR consideration. So at least for now, let focus on what you could do with a super zoom like the Panasonic FZ-35 which sells for around $300. The FZ-35 has 18X optical zoom, more in fact that you could reasonably afford in a DSLR camera.

However, the FZ-35 would be fine for outdoor sports, but not for basketball, or any indoor sport. Shooting sports is an acquired skill totally unlike snap shooting. As indoor sports can only be done well with a DSLR camera, you may want to re-consider your budget, before investing in any camera.

At the outset, I think you should plan for a $700 to $800 budget if you want to do indoor sports.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:22 PM   #6

You can get a dslr in the 500 dollar range something like the pentax k-x with one lens and couple of other options. But the k-x would be one of the best option for this price or a bit higher even.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:00 PM   #7

Shoturtle-

To do indoor sports, the OP is going to need fast lenses, that is why I suggested a higher budget.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:43 PM   #8

The fast lens is good, but the larger sensor and shooting well at 3200iso, and off set the right away need for a fast prime. But the kit lens and the k-x will still out perform the fz and any other point and shoot at 1600iso without a second thought.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:02 PM   #9

shoturtle, you don't understand-

Shooting a basketball game from the bleachers cannot be done with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens. A second lens will be needed. And if want to stop fast action, the second lens will have to be a wide, or near wide aperture lens. Just add up the numbers and you will see that $500 just cannot do it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:07 PM   #10

you can not do it with the fz either basketball game. It will the AF fast enough. While the FZ my not zoom in as tight as a 85mm prime. But it will be able to at least still keep up with the action for indoors. And if the light is not good enough for 1600iso, you can shoot at 3200iso and if needed 6400iso. Something that can not be done with the FZ.