Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:23 PM   #1

Default New Camera/New Lens??

Decisions, decisions!!! I have decided to buy the new Sony SLT a55 as my next camera. I have also decided to buy the Sony/Zeiss 16-80 for my main walkaround lens. Size, price and weight were all factors in this decision.

Mostly, I enjoy shooting landscapes and cityscapes....not into sports photography at all. Have even done a wedding or two for financially challenged friends!! NOW.....I need (want) to buy ONE other lens to use for night/low light conditions as well as for promotional shots of my wife's custom drapery jobs (indoor). Have narrowed it down to:

*Sony 35mm f1.4 G series $1369 Maybe a little too pricy!!!
*Sony 50mm f1.4 $369
*Sony 28mm f2.8 $269
* The NEW Sony 35mm f1.8 $199 (Would not ship until Oct along with the camera)

Does anyone have the "scoop" on the new Sony lens listed above??? I appreciate all of the help that I have been getting from you folks!! I am also open to other "suggestions" concerning the lenses. Thanks, Jim V
Jim V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:38 PM   #2

The Sony 35mm f/1.4 isn't actually very good for what you want to do. It's got a lot of edge and corner softness until you stop it down to about f/4, and it's got a fair amount of chromatic aberration as well. The same is true, unfortunately of the Sony 50mm f/1.4, except that the edges and corners sharpen up at about f/2.8. Neither of those would particularly good for your night/low light shooting or your wife's promotional photos. For your wife's promotional photos, picking a prime is a significant gamble, you may struggle to get what you want without the luxury of zooming (if you can get it at all.). For that, I suggest you get a good flash setup to accompany the Zeiss 16-80.

For night/low light shooting, again, picking the right prime can be tough. I suggest you consider either the Sigma 18-50/2.8 or the Tamron 17-50/2.8 standard zoom lenses. They're fast enough for what you want (and if they're not, at least they'll be stabilized.)

Here's something else to consider. The A55 uses a Pellicle ("Translucent") Mirror that uses 30% of the light coming through the lens to feed the AF system. That means the A55 will always get 2/3 stop less light to make an exposure with. If you want to shoot at night or in low light, you'll need to use shutter speeds that are almost twice as long as you'd need with any other dSLR.

In addition, the A55 & A33 use smaller batteries than Sony's other dSLRs, and those batteries don't last nearly as long. According to Sony's own figures, to fill a 4GB SDHC Card, you'll need two fully charged batteries.

A Sony A560 will do what you want, do it better, and it's batteries will last longer.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:51 PM   #3

I second TCav's suggestion of the Sony A-560 in place of the Sony A-55. You will be a happier camper in the long haul.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:26 PM   #4

Default Now What??

Both replies bring up VERY GOOD points. I mean, what do you think??? I'm NOT interested in fast FPS OR video. I AM interested in the best possible image in the smallest package possible. One reason I keep going back to the Sony is what (I perceive to be) the ease of use. I would like some creative control, but I also want to be able to point, shoot and get a great image. Can Canon or Nikon give me that?? I can pick up an a550 (no video)for about $480 and add the CZ lens. OR pickup a T2i or a 7D or a D5000 or a D90 or a K-x (even though I have not even looked at them). $$ is a consideration, but I'm very blessed in that area, so $$ is kinda a non-issue. Its obvious that I need a little direction here. AAAAGGHHHHHH!!!! Jim V
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:49 PM   #5

Jim-

It is a matter of which has the highest priority: (1) the smallness of the DSLR, or (2) the best possible image. The Sony A-560 will give you (2) in spades, but it will be physically larger than the A-55.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:50 PM   #6

If everything is back on the table, the Sony/Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5, the Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, and the Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR are all in the same class, and ideal for most of what you want to do, and they all have flash systems that are good for what you want to do, and they're all stabilized. Canon and Nikon have the edge when it comes to fast primes, but not by much, and they're not stabilized, like the ones you'd attach to a Sony body, and that'll be important for night and low-light shooting. The Tamron and Sigma fast standard zooms are quite good, and stabilized on a Sony body, but not on a Canon or Nikon body, and the stabilized equivalents aren't as good. That is, unless you've got the money for the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

I'd pick the Sony option.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:01 PM   #7

Default So.....

Lets see....The T2i with Canon 17-55 (2.8) lens = $1519

Sony a 560 (or580) with Sony/Zeiss 24-70 (2.8) = $2250

Either combo might eliminate the need for a primary/low light lens???

From the reviews I've read, the S/Z 24-70 is like the "big Kahuna" Remember $$$ is not the deciding factor!!

I really like some of the features of the Sony. And, like I said, what I really want is a P&S with some enhancements. At 60+ years old.....the simpler, the better!!! Jim V
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:58 PM   #8

Jim-

Please see the three attached spec sheets that show the differences between the A-560 and A-580.

Please click on this link for page 1:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pr...61_ujtS8-M.jpg

Please click on this link for page two:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pr...36_MCCnE-M.jpg

Please click on this link for page three:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pr...19_odbsp-M.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 27, 2010, 7:09 AM   #9

So far, it looks like Sony USA won't be importing the A580.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:06 AM   #10

Default a580/delete

Thats probably why the camera is NOT featured in the Sony Website........AND why the phone reps for Sony couldn't "find" that camera anywhere. So now the "choices" are down to 2!!

Lets see....The T2i with Canon 17-55 (2.8) lens = $1519

Sony a 560 with Sony/Zeiss 24-70 (2.8) = $2250

Either combo might eliminate the need for a primary/low light lens???

From the reviews I've read, the S/Z 24-70 is like the "big Kahuna" Remember $$$ is not the deciding factor!!

I really like some of the features of the Sony. And, like I said, what I really want is a P&S with some enhancements. At 60+ years old.....the simpler, the better!!! Jim V