Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:28 PM   #11

The main thing with the t1i and T2i, is video. If you need HD, the T2i is the better option. That is why the lcd for liveview is is wider and slightly higher res for the video aspect.

But in low light and macro. They are about the same in performance. The ef 70-300 is a better lens for macro compare to the ef 55-250. especially if you go the inexpensive route and add the canon 500d macro conversion lens. And the 70-300 is sharper with more reach, and AF faster.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:38 PM   #12

For low light, you may want to add a fast prime. On the inexpensive end the canon ef 50mm 1.8. This lens is a good prime for the price. And will give you good dof effect and without a flash for outdoor low light. It will give either camera better low light ability.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:06 PM   #13

So if I decide on the T1i, which I probably will since I'm not interested in video, add the Canon ef 50mm 1.8 for low light, then I should skip the kit lens?

Also, since the 300mm won't handle my wildlife shots, what would be a better option here? I'd like to stay under $1,500.00.

Am I assuming correctly that a better zoom combined with the 50mm 1.8 will handle my macros, low light, portraits, and wildlife/nature??

Thanks for eveyone's help . . .

-SolRunner
SolRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:25 PM   #14

SolRunner - you say quality is paramount. It's going to be tough to do everything you potentially want to do with high quality for the price point you have.

For example - portraits. Portrait work (from an equipment standpoint) is primarily abouot lighting, then comes the lens then the camera. A good lighting setup with softboxes, umbrellas and OLD XTi camera with a good lens will produce lovely shots.

Take low light work - what type of low light work? Sometimes fast primes work and sometimes you simply need to use flash. It depends on the conditions and your subject. Is 50mm a workable focal length? Maybe, maybe not. Will you even have enough light for a 50mm 1.8 lens to produce the types of shots you want without tripod or without flash? For wildlife - what lens you need depends on the shooting situations you'll be in. Will 300mm be enough? Will 400mm? Or will it require 800mm or more? Are subjects going to be moving (which brings lens focus speed into things) or stationary (where old but sharp manual focus lenses can be used)? What lighting situations? In low light you may have to add powerful external flash and better beamer. And, of course as you get larger lenses you may need tripod and if in flight you may have to add a gimbal head or similar.

There is no magic kit by genre: Oh, buy this one camera and this one lens and you can shoot any type of wildlife. Doesn't work that way.

Same with low light. Low light museum is different than low light toddler playing in daytime indoors is different than multiple people in low light indoors at night, etc... They all have different challenges which benefit from different tools. Which, of course, is why there are so many lenses, flashes, tripods and accessories out there.

So you've got to provide a lot more details about the types of macro, types of low light, types of wildlife situations you want to shoot. Otherwise you can easily spend your limit and be completely unsatisified with the results. But with more details, even if you can't afford the right gear to do everything we can give you better specific answers as to what the different gear options will do for you and where they'll specifically fall short.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:24 PM   #15

My low light work will be shooting interior design shots during the day, inside get togethers during day, evening and night, and evening and night skyscapes, so I'm sure the external flash will be a must.

My macros are generally daylight plant/nature types. The range on my wildlife shots is wide, and could include hermit crabs on the beach, coastal birds and water fowl, whale and dolphin shots, tree monkeys and tropical frogs in a rain forest. This is the area that I'm most interested in, and where I'm willing to spend extra $$ to get what I need. While I felt it possible to keep it under $1,500 with the T1i and a good lens, if that's not possible I'll spend more to get what I need here. I'm a total newbie to the DSLR world, and don't want to make a mistake getting the wrong camera/lens that will end up haunting me later. I may not be asking the right questions either, so I appreciate everyone's patience!

-Judy
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:09 PM   #16

Well for you indoor need a flash base on what you are talking about seems to be the better option then a fast prime as a first purchase. Something along the lines of the canon 430 exii, metz 48 or nissin di622. Think that would do more for you indoor interior shots.

With the wildlife shooting. It comes down to how far you are from the monkeys in the tree. If you are relativity close to the base of the tree, 150-250mm may work. But cost vs perfromance is something we all have to decide on, as there is always a trade off.

But the kit lens, plus the ef 70-300 and a good flash, would be a good starter kit. It may not be perfect but it is a pretty good start. And for the hermit crab. The add on conversion macro lens may work well. It will not be as good as a true macro lens. But it save cost. You will need the 58mm thread 500D macro lens if you are interested in this route.

But at the end, this is a dslr system. So you can always add, or upgrade lens down the line.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:33 AM   #17

Hi again I have just read your original post and I have done this year what you are about to do, thats go into the DSLR range of cameras from a high end p & s. I got a t2i/550d with the kit lens 18-55 my budget allowed either a 50 1.8 or a flash, I went with a nissin di622 it ticked all my boxes. My thoughts were this I can now take pictures outside and inside and the flash can used effectively with both. I have just saved up again and and my experience over the last few months has directed me to get a 50 1.8 and a 55-250 IS. You may be better taking a kit and practising then seeing what your needs are. Hope this helps
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:56 AM   #18

After more thought and research, here's what I'm now thinking:

Rebel T1i kit w/EF-S 18-55 - $545
ef 70-300 lens - 475.00
ef 100mm f/2.8 macro lens - 499.00
Nissin di622 flash - 125.00
Total: $1,644.00

I thought I'd be happier going with the ef 100mm f/2.8 rather than the 58mm 500D in the long run, and since I've found the T1i kit and ef 70-300 at less than I originally planned it won't break the bank.

As always, I appreicate your opinions and thoughts!

-SolRunner
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:56 PM   #19

I have pretty much all the equipment you listed, and they will work fine for what you want. The di622 is a good flash so it looking like a very good package for your needs.

I have the 58mm 500D lens, it is not bad, but the true macro with the ef 100 2.8 macro non L does a better job.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM. Reason: left out couple of words.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRunner View Post
After more thought and research, here's what I'm now thinking:

Rebel T1i kit w/EF-S 18-55 - $545

-SolRunner
where do you find this deal?

thank you
Data is offline   Reply With Quote