Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:14 AM   #1

Default Samsung WB2000 vs. Sony DSC-HX5v

Hi,

I am buying compact digital camera (pocketable) and have been reading this forum for weeks now and learning, because I am a beginner in photography.

I am looking for a compact digital camera up to 350, which can fet in my pockets, has good image quality, full hd videos, lot of optical zoom, is doing as good as it can get possible shots on low light (night shots at the party or in the center of the city) for this type of cameras and this price range, has panorama function in camera and is good in shooting moving objects (kids, pets, etc.).

Firstly i narrowed my decision on Sony HX5v, Panasonic TZ10 and Canon SX 210. I went to store and tried all of them and i liked Sony the most. Problem appeared when i saw Samsung WB2000 (TL350) so i hope that you can help me. I have read many reviews and forums and seen a lot of images and videos taken with hese two cameras but i cannot take a decision.

What I really like about Sony is that it has big lens, 10x optical zoom, full hd videos, panorama mode and anti moving blur. But i do not like that on all forums costumers say that image quality is not so good, that photos are not sharp and washed out. I do not care about GPS option. A lot of people say that this Sony is strong on paper but not in reality.

On Samsung I really like that it has real full hd videos (1080p), slow motion videos, panorama mode, and that images and videos i have seen, sems to be more colorfull, sharp and detailed and camera also has more manual options/controls. Can it shot moving object or is it bad for this?

Can you do comparison on next features that are most important for me and tell which camera is better in:
- image quality
- image quality on low light (night) (Sony has bigger lens but smaler f.3,5, where Samsung has smaller lens but f. is much lower)
- video quality
- which panorama mode is better
- shooting moving objects
- is 5x optical zoom much less than the 10x. I know it is twice more on paper but how is that seen in real life?

I know I have a lot of question but problem is that this Samsung is not yet available in Slovenia so i would have to order it on the web and so I cannot see it in the store and try it by myself.

Which camera is better in your opinion and why?

Best regards,
Mitja
Godsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2

Mitja-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Unfortunately, both the Sony HX-5 and the Samsung WB2000/TL-350 seem to have problems. The HX-5 looses color saturation as the ISO setting is increased, and the TL-30 has had numerous firmware problems after being fast tracked to completion. In good faith, I cannot suggest wither camera.

If low light level shots are a real priority, consider either the Canon S-90/95 or the Samsung WB500/EX-1 which have proven track records as cameras that do very well indeed when shooting in low light environments.

You must keep in mind two things: these are P+S cameras and naturally they will not have the low light level capabilities of even an entry level DSLR camera. These will be cameras capable of producing good image quality at ISO settings of 800 or 1000. Yes, you might want to press them hard and attempt an ISO 1600 shot but for anything greater than an ISO setting of 800, be prepared to use noise reduction software like Topaz DeNoise.

Any camera that is small enough to fit into a pocket contains some real image quality compromises that do affect how the image will look. That is why the entry level DSLR market is thriving. Therefore, please do not expect miracles from these small cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3

Thank you Sarah for helping me out in my decision which camera to buy. Regarding firmware problem and noise in pictures taken in ISO 800 and above with Samsung WB2000 what else can you tell me about this camera?

As you can see I also opened new thread in this forum under section: digital cameras (point and shoot)/Samsung/Samsung WB2000.

Mitja
Godsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Mitja-

On paper the specifications for the Samsung WB2000/TL-350 look very good indeed. However, most users have not be satisfied with the performance of the TL-350.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:08 AM   #5

I agree with Sarah Joyce on all points. It seems you are hoping the answer will change if you ask the question a different way though. Typical.