Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:14 PM   #1

Default Different classes=Canon G11 or SD 990 is?

I love taking pictures of my grandkids. When I went to Japan for 2 weeks I took over 7000 pictures and had to buy an external hard drive to bring them home. I have an Olympus Camedia c-60 zoom which takes great pictures. It's time to get a new camera and have been looking way too much. The more I read the more confused I become. I really would like a view finder for outside pictures on really sunny days and when my battery (and the extra one) is running low. I like zoom for outside pictures and would like a faster shutter speed than I have now. I know the G11 and the SD 990 are really different cameras. I like both of them and am confused as which I would like to buy. Which would be the best camera for the money and for what I want to do?
gagajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:57 AM   #2

The g11 gives you a bit more zoom, but both optical viewfinder will only show about 75% of the frame. And they are pretty small. But would be useful on sunny days that wash out the lcd.

The G11 has less resolution at 10mp. But will handle noise a bit better then the he 14.7mp of the sd990 when shooting in low light. Both have about the same size sensor. 1/1.63 with the G11 and 1/1.7 with the sd990. But the larger sensor will give you better low light and image quality over a 1/2.23 that most point and shoot camera have.

If you need compact and a vf. The SD990 is not a bad choice. It will give you a good travel companion camera. And you get HD.

The G11 will give you better noise control when shooting at higher iso then the sd990. Personally if I was not traveling with it that much I would go with the G11 with the better noise control at the higher iso and give you longer range optical zoom. But it is not as compact. And it is pretty easy to just throw the sd990 in a pocket.

You may have a hard time finding the SD990 with the VF

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 28, 2010 at 3:07 AM. Reason: post script
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:12 AM   #3

You can find the SD780 or sd 1200 with the VF, but it will not be as good as the other 2 camera as it uses a 1/2.23 sensor
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:06 AM   #4

I will travel with the camera lot. Can I reduce the resolution on the sd990 manually to 10mps so the resolution and noise will be better? I really think I would like the smaller size better. Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:08 AM   #5

I also forgot, my husband would really like the hd video. (My you do get up early!)
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6

go with the SD it really makes it a easy to carry and it does HD and has a VF. I was on a plane all night. The on board wifi helps pass the time.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:25 AM   #7

OK- Where would you suggest I look to purchase? I don't know who is a reputable camera source and should I purchase insurance?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 4:27 PM   #8

amazon is a good one to get camera gear. Great return policy.