Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:38 PM   #11

For the specs, I don't know if low light is the most important thing because it will probably be used most when we are out, so outdoor type of shots I would think would be most common. And if there are indoor shots, I would think a lot would be in range of the flash. I think most of the low light pics would be at home and woudl be covered by the other camera. So maybe some zoom and HD video might be nice features. As far as budget, I haven't really thought of it, as long as it is a good small camera that can always be with us, and might be good to travel with as well if I don't want to lug the other one around.
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:30 PM   #12

panasonic ZR1 would be a good choice.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:21 PM   #13

I will check into that one. Just to be sure here, there isn't any chance that I am going to get a compact and be satisfied with all photos of my baby, and when hes older running around, etc. am I? Meaning, if I get both cameras, Im not going to never use the DSLR because I will be happy with what the compact does? I hope that makes sense!

As far as something like the T1i, would your recommend the two lens kit? Will I be able to buy a better longer zoom lens later for around the same price, or is that a good lens for just the couple hundred more or whatever it will cost than getting the one lens kit?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:43 PM   #14

dj-

The Canon T-1i with the kit lens is very attractively priced right now. Purchase the other lenses as you need them.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:59 PM   #15

Actually as your baby gets older, and running around the house, you will actually use the dslr more, as it will be able to keep up with the running around in low light. Something a compact point and shoot will not be able to do.

The T1i is a excellent camera, and the kit lenses are pretty good. Yes there are better lenses. But as you will be new to dslr shooting, the kit lenses are an excellent starting point.

check this link. Good dslr shooting workshops for beginners
www.dslrtips.com

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:38 PM   #16

Yeah I figured that I would use it more when he gets older and I need to just be able to grab the camera and shoot, rather than waiting for it to turn on and missing the shot. So just to make sure I understand you guys right, I should probably just get the one kit lens to start with? That is a pretty decent price now under $700 with that. Do you recommend getting that 50mm prime that I see mentioned here a lot (and maybe a flash) as well, or should I learn a little more about how to use the camera first?

Another question about this is how well does it do in auto mode? While I won't use that, since I don't even use the G2 in auto mode, I am thinking my wife probably will if she needs to use the camera.

And the last point I want to ask is, with my current camera, I use the swivel LCD a lot to get some cool low angle shots and overhead sometimes. Now I know this is somewhat of a newer feature and people have been taking photos for years without that, so how do most people get those kinds of shots with a viewfinder? I know that may sound like a dumb question, but I am used to just holding the camera down an inch off the ground and swiveling the LCD so I can see it. Do you just lay down on the ground to get those kinds of shots, or do you just find yourself not taking as many like that?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:51 PM   #17

the ef 50mm 1.8 MKII is a decent prime, it will let you blur the background very nicely indoors. And it is pretty cheap about 90-95 dollars new. I would hold off on the long zoom for now. As your baby shooting is the main concern.

You may also want to hold off on the flash, as flash photography is some more learning. But if you do not want to spend to much on a good flash. Look at the nissin di622. It is almost as powerful as the metz 48 and about the same as the canon 430ex II.

With the auto mode, it okay. Nothing fantastic as you are letting the camera pick everything.

When I shoot the strange angle, I shoot liveview with the lcd. But just to let you know, dslr liveview is no where near as good as a point and shoot. It is kinda slow to AF.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:40 AM   #18

Looking at the prices of the 55-250 lens, I would not be getting much of a discount with buying it with the 2 lens kit so I guess I won't be missing out on anything if I don't get it right away. It would be nice to have a little more zoom for other things outdoors, but you are right, the baby is the main concern now. And besides, from what I have gathered in other posts, I can probably get decent shots of something far away with a compact with big zoom (as long as it is outdoors in good light). So the kit lens you are referring to is the 18-55 EF-S with IS? That should cover all of my needs well?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:59 AM   #19

dj-

IMO purchase the T-1 kit with the 18-55mm kit lens which is a pretty good lens, then add the lenses as you need them. If you want an articulated LCD then look at the Nikon D-5000 kit, and handle the needed lenses the same way, when you need them.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:15 AM   #20

My advice is to buy the flash right away. My personal recommendation is to stay with Canon or Metz for flash for build quality and compatibility. But the sooner you start learning how to use bounce flash the better off you'll be for those indoor shots of the baby. I would put it ahead of the 50mm 1.8 in priority but that's just me. Being able to bounce your flash really helps and you'll need it - it isn't a matter of the baby running - just moving - hand, head movements etc. will benefit from flash use - not to mention when the baby starts to crawl. My son is 4 now and looking back at the photos I can see the quality really jumped up once I got a better hang of using flash. One tip right off the bat - when using flash, shoot RAW (or RAW + JPEG) - it's so much easier to recover when the camera uses too much flash or WB is thrown off. I was already adept at available light shooting but there were simply too many instances where that was a poor solution so mastering flash was key to improving the photos of my son. But, adding a fast prime should be the next item after the flash - way cool to be able to get shallow DOF photos with or without the flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote