Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:23 PM   #21

JohnG-

...Makes an excellent point. A good external flash should be first on your list.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:32 PM   #22

So is flash photography difficult to learn? Is there still some sort of "auto" mode to use with a flash while I am learning it that will turn out better than it would without a flash? What model of Metz or Canon? I was going to ask about whether you guys shoot in RAW all time or not but I figured I should do some research first because I have never used RAW. But that is good to know.

The Nikon D-5000 actually looked appealing when I first saw commercials for it because of the articulated screen. But then after reading threads here, I learned that live view is not that great on DSLRs and that the focus is faster on the Canon and you are limited to the lenses on the D-5000 so I am leaning this way now.

So with the range of the 18-55mm, how does that compare to my old G2 which has a 4x zoom I believe? That just doesn't seem like much, but is that all the range people use for just taking shots in a room, or shots of something that isnt really far away? Is that enough to take a candid shot of someone across the room without having to get right up in their face? And just to warn you guys, I take forever to make up my mind on anything so be prepared for a bunch of more questions! I appreciate all the advice.
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:37 PM   #23

the 18-55 is a 3x zoom, so the range are pretty close I would imagine.

There is more to learn with a flash. Mark1616 is a fantastic flash shooter. And flash done right gives fantastic results. He has said it took allot of reading and practice to get him to where he is now with his flash photography.

The metz 48 canon ex430 are great flashes. But so it the nissin. Was recently in Asia, and it is a very popular flash there. It can be firmware upgraded like the metz with a usb port. So it makes for future upgrades easy. I would not rule out the nissin.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:55 PM   #24

Modern flashes you should be using are all TTL capable - they have automatic metering done through the lens of the camera. Out of the box, in ETTL they will do a better job than the built-in flash - especially when you bounce. BUT, the challenge to good flash use is the same as with non-flash exposures. The cameras are smart but not as smart as YOU. So their 'guess' at the proper exposure (for the camera or the flash) can be wrong. And, as with exposure in camera there are certain challenges to getting better results. But here's the rub: in those situations your photos will be WORSE without the external flash. so it's not like using the built in will ever be better (although it may be more convenient) and there are just too many instances where there isn't enough available light WITHOUT flash to get good results. It's just that it will take you time to realize the full benefit of the flash. Just like the DSLR itself. But it's like any other tool - seek out those who know how to use it on the web and they can help you learn. Just like there are people that can use the DSLR you're going to buy and produce wonderful photos there are people that can use that same tool and produce poor photos. Same with flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:03 PM   #25

Thank you so much for all the help. Hopefully I will actually pull the trigger and buy this VERY soon instead of coming on here and reading about cameras every night. I think this also helps make the compact decision clearer too. I would think it would be used a lot for outdoors, and travel so maybe the zoom is more important than the low light. I could use the zoom for far away shots that I can't get with the DSLR for now, and any indoor shots will probably within range of the flash. Again its mainly to have around so I have a camera all the time rather than not. And the size of the T1i with the 18-55 lens doesnt even seem that big to me, where I would probably bring that around a lot too since I don't have to pack a big back of lenses and everything.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:18 PM   #26

dj-

The zoom provided by the Canon 18-55mm is slightly less that your Canon G-2. Flash technique, as JohnG noted is not so difficult as just gaining experience with what your flash and camera combination will provide for you. The more you use the external flash, the better you will become with it, and hence your flash photos will become better. I have Canon and Nissin flashes and both are very good.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj76 View Post
So is flash photography difficult to learn? Is there still some sort of "auto" mode to use with a flash while I am learning it that will turn out better than it would without a flash?
dj76,

Here's my experience with external flash shooting in "auto".

I shoot with a Panasonic FZ50 and its pop-up flash results in nice flash photos. But when I bought a FL50 external flash and used bounce flash, the flash IQ jumped up noticeably. I shoot in P-Mode and let the camera do the camera do the work with its TTL flash metering, so no worries shooting in "auto" mode while gaining experience with an external flash. I bought the more powerful FL50 instead of the FL36 because I wanted the maximum power to use bounce flash. More $ than the FL36 but I feel it was worth it.

I usually have a diffuser like this one mounted on my external flash, unless I really need the reach without it.

EDIT: You probably knew it but just to be sure, I'm not recommending the FL50 for your camera. Only relating my experience so mentioned the model numbers.

Last edited by skylark; Aug 31, 2010 at 3:36 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:20 PM   #28

skylark,

very good suggestion. I alway have a sto fen diffuser on my metz.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:49 AM   #29

I was just about to pull the trigger on the T1i at Costco for $719 (I know its a little more than other places but I figure then at least I have 90 days to play around with it to decide if its for me or not). Then I noticed they had the T2i for $849 and thought that is not that much more and was wondering if in the future I would have wished I spent the extra $130 on that for the better ISO and video quality I have seen mentioned. So now today I notice the T2i is off of their website and the T1i is down to $679. Oooh the decisions!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:09 PM   #30

ISO is the same at 12800iso. And but you really do not want to shoot up there. But if you want video, the t2i is the better HD camera of the 2. 679 is a great price for the T1i, that is the lowest I have ever seen it.