Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:19 PM   #1

Default Still haven't bought a new cameara...oooh the choices!

Why does this have to be so tough of a decision?!?! I posted here a couple months ago wanting to upgrade my old Canon G2. It has been a good camera, but I am starting to take a lot more pictures now of our baby and actually have been playing around with the settings a lot more than I ever have before (especially the ISO and aperture). It is a great way to learn and I enjoy trying to figure out how make the pictures better by experimenting with the settings. I do like taking pictures of him without the flash, but kicking the ISO up on that camera really produces a lot of noise. Ok anyways, last time I posted, I was thinking of getting a small compact to have with us all the time, and possibly a DSLR since I take most of the pictures at home anyways. I have read suggestions about the EVIL cameras, and even tried some in the store. The only downside I see is I don't see them being as fast as the DSLR's, which should not be a problem now, but one of my biggest problems now is shutter lag. I know any camera is going to be faster than what I have, but I am afraid that when the baby is a little older and running around, I might need something quicker than the EVIL cameras even. Plus I would like a viewfinder (yes I know you can buy add on ones for the 4/3) So I don't really know why I'm posting again. Maybe just so someone will light a fire under me and get me to finally buy something! Hehe. I should have at least bought a compact by now.
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:29 PM   #2

it is not shutter lag it is AF lag, contrast base AF is not as fast as phase detect in a dslr.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:39 PM   #3

Yeah I know what you mean, I just kinda threw out shutter lag out there to mean it is slow! But I do realize it is the focus that is slow.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:42 PM   #4

If you put evil's into MF, the evil's will shoot the moment you press the button.

Which evil's have you tried? There are ways to speed them up depending on the brand.

But if you need action. I would go was a compact dslr.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:52 PM   #5

I tried an Olympus EP1 in the store. Regardless of that or the DSLR, I think it would be important for me to have a compact as well to always have with me or in my wife's purse. Because even while those EVIL cameras are probably close to the same size as that G2 I have now, I don't always take that because it is a bag to carry. If I go somewhere where I am going to be taking pictures, or want better pictures, then yes I will take it. And I don't think the size really matters, to me if I have to carry a bag around, then it is something extra to carry whether it is the size of the one I have now, or a little larger. But the compact will always be there just in case. Kind of like having a cell phone with you, but will take better pictures than the phone.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:07 PM   #6

I would look at the epl-1, it will shoot well upto 2000iso, and decent at 2500 with some NR Software. It is most likely the best M4/3 out on the market currently in noise control. It is a bit better then the sony nex form 100-1600iso, but above that the sony takes over.

It is compact. Like a dslr, you can add a very big aperture lens. The panasonic 20mm 1.7. It will give you allot better photos of your baby indoors by a long shot then what you have now. And you do not need to really post production edit like a dslr to get the photo to look it's best.

I would get a camera soon, as babies grow very fast. So if you want to create those memories as your baby is growing up. You will be able to get really nice shots with the epl-1. If you want a dslr, and want compact. Canon T1i and pentax K-x are pretty small. Also they are excellent cameras too.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:14 PM   #7

Ok maybe I will play around with that camera again. I have handled the T1i a lot when I go to the stores too. I almost bought the T1i two lens kit with bag when Costco had them for $850 a couple months ago. Now they are $950. I like the feel of that camera. Is that pretty much the best way to learn the settings is just playing around with them and seeing what works best?

Ok so these two are good recommendations. What recommendation for the compact then to always have in my pocket or wifes purse that would compliment one of these?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:26 PM   #8

canon s90 for the pocket camera would be my choice if you take allot of indoor stuff and zoom is not that important.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:55 AM   #9

If you want a moderate zoom and willing to give up on low light. You can find a deal on the panasonic ZR1 at some costco's. It is a pretty good 8x zoom camera, and it has HD. Not to bad for about 170 dollars.

Both these compact are pretty small and thin, very easy to carry around with you.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:31 AM   #10

dj-

What is your budget for a go anywhere camera? And what specs are you looking for in that camera?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote