Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:40 AM   #11

Tullio-

Because the imagers used on DSLR cameras are 15 to 20 times larger than the point and shoot CMOS imagers.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:05 PM   #12

So, from what you are suggesting, manufacturers should not deploy CMOS-type sensors on P&S because they will under perform the CCD-type sensors due to their small size but that's not the claim manufacturers make. My point was, since the CMOS technology offers better IQ (despite the fact that they are larger), they should produce better images when reduced in size but that's not the case. A small CMOS performs worse than a small CCD.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:01 PM   #13

Default Still Fz35 vs sony A200

sony a 200 will outperform fz35 in low light . But outdoor photos are some how same in IQ.
Which one should i choose between these two cameras .. DSLR are bigger ,heavy and no video ..if i need zoom then i have to pay extra money for lenses.
But getting sony A200 new with kit Lens in same price of FZ35 ..please suggest me ..My only concern is Excellent pic quality ..
Presently having sony W360 which is point and shoot camera like FZ35 .some added advantage like more zoom and manual control will be there with FZ35 but pic quality difference is not that much noticeable due to small sensors.
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:27 PM   #14

Tullio-

You have it exactly correct. Small CMOS imagers have proven to be poor performers. Take a look at the Sony HX-1, HX5, Casio FH-100, Panasonic FZ-100, Canon SX-1, and SD-4000. In these cameras, image quality is an issue of varying degrees, due to their small CMOS imagers.

In contrast large CMOS imagers have been stellar among quality DSLR cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:38 PM   #15

Sandeepsaman-

Yes, I can understand that the Sony A-200 is attractive because it is a DSLR camera. However, I bet you did not know that the A-200 and A-230 used CCD imagers, not CMOS imagers.

Your decision will hinge on your priorities.

1. The A-200 has a poor kit lens, the Sony 18-70mm. So you will not get much improved image quality from that lens. So your first step will be to make an additional purchase: a new lens. That adds to the expense of the A-200.

2. The FZ-35 has a zoom that ranges from (in 35mm terms) 28mm to 504mm. If zoom is important to you, then stay with the FZ-35. Duplicating that zoom reach on the A-200 would be prohibitively expensive.

3. The only way a DSLR camera becomes a viable alternative for you is if you purchase a better quality DSLR camera, such as the Sony A-500, Canon XSi, Nikon D-5000, or the Pentax Kx.

Personally I would be very careful in evaluating your purchase of that used Sony A-200. I would say that it is not a good investment.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsaman View Post
Which one should i choose between these two cameras .. DSLR are bigger ,heavy and no video ..if i need zoom then i have to pay extra money for lenses....
...and you'd have to swap them, sometimes in harsh conditions (wind, rain, etc.).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:41 AM   #17

Sarah u lost that bet because i knew that sony a 200 and a230 is having ccd sensor :-) .And Sony a200 is not used one ,it is new one and the price is same compare to FZ35...I think that should wait for New Nikon D3100 ..Meanwhile i was trying to enjoy my sony w360 only

Last edited by sandeepsaman; Aug 30, 2010 at 5:46 AM.
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:13 AM   #18

Default Refurbished Sony A330 with 18-55mm lens for $319

Sony's Online Outlet store has this refurbished A330 for $319. This is a good deal.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887572

If you want a new one Dell has it for $380. Please check the deal at our HOT DEALS forum. Expired today (8-30)
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:16 AM   #19

sandeepsaman-

Ok you win. The Nikon D-3100 will be worth the wait.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:34 PM   #20

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a Pentax Kx, even though it's the best small dSLR around now. If you buy it you'll be amazed, and then you'll want more lenses, and you'll find that older Pentax lenses are great, and you'll want those, and you'll help drive up prices even further. No no, STAY AWAY FROM PENTAX, so I won't go broke buying old lenses myself.