Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:21 PM   #1

Default T1i vs. T2i

Hello everyone,

I have posted a couple of messages recently, and I think I am close to my final decision.

I was considering the following:
Sony 3xx series
Sony 5xx series
Nikon D5000
Canon T1i
Canon T2i
Olympus EPL1

Video is not extremely important, but I would like a camera that has it. This rules out the Sony cameras.

Since my wife will also be using this camera a lot, size and weight will be important (i.e., smaller and lighter is better). I think rules out the Nikon.

With the initial price of the EPL1, and having to add on an expensive view finder, and (based on the feedback) a less desirable LCD, I think this rules out the EPL1.

Now it comes down to the two Canon cameras. As I mentioned, I want to have some HD video capability, but it is not the critical factor. If I have read this forum correctly, the still photo capability between the T1i and the T2i is pretty close. Since the T2i is $150 more expensive than the T1i (at Best Buy - $900 vs. $750), it appears to me that the T1i offers me the best bang for the buck. Is my analysis correct?

I don't want to wait for the Nikon D3100, because I need to make my purchase within the next two weeks, and the D3100 won't be available until at least 20 September.

Please let me know if I am overlooking anything.

Thanks,

Mike
Michael - AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:25 PM   #2

I would go with the t1i if video is not that important. And use the savings toward lenses.

PS I shoot a T1i, and the photos are excellent with the kit lenses.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:51 PM   #3

I would strongly consider the D5000. Xcellent reviews and I don't think it's bulkier than either Canons.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:56 PM   #4

It also does not have the full nikon lens lineup available with the d5000. And the AF is not as good as the canon for action.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:30 AM   #5

Is it just the frame rate on the video that is better on the T2i or what? And I take it there is really no big difference as far as photos go. The 3200 iso on the T1i plenty fine for most situations as opposed to the 6400 on the T2i?
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:51 AM   #6

IMHO and bias really have the 550d/t2i there are a couple differences from the t1i it has a dedicated live mode button it does have a higher iso better for low light the rear screen is also better. I know here the price difference between the two is not as great as it used to be I would go for the t2i.
But as always remember to days tech is tomorrows history.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:18 PM   #7

Default Made my decision

Finally made our decision yesterday. Took my wife down to Best Buy so that she could actually hold the cameras we were thinking about (T1i vs. T2i).

After spending quite a bit of time with the salesman, we went home with the following:

Canon EOS T2i
Spare battery
Class 6, 8 GB memory card
Camera bag

We were all set to get the T1i, and my wife actually preferred the fact that the T1i was slightly lighter. The big deciding factor was the following. Live View shooting is only available in Creative Zone shooting on the T1i. On the T2i, Live View shooting is available in both Creative Zone AND Basic Zone (i.e., Portrait, Landscape, Close-up and Sports). My wife wears glasses, and she didn't think she would be comfortable shooting Basic Zone modes through the viewfinder. So that was that.

This past week, the sale prices on the two cameras had reverted back to normal pricing. This meant the following:
T1i: Sale price was $749.99, Sunday's price was $799.99
T2i: Sale price was $899.99, Sunday's price was $909.99

For an additional $110, I got the T2i over the T1i. The spare battery on the T2i was $20 more than the battery for the T1i. Best Buy did not have any special deals for multiple lens purchasing, so we did not buy a telephoto lens at this time.

After charging the battery and formatting the memory card, I took a couple of practice pictures, and they came out great. Now it's just a matter of both of us practicing and getting used to what we have.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Mike
Michael - AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:26 PM   #8

congrats, it is a very good camera, enjoy it.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:45 AM   #9

congrats and enjoy it really is a good camera
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:30 AM   #10

Just to make sure I understand this right, someone wouldn't be losing out on anything or downgrading in any category by getting the T2i over the T1i. For example I saw in some reviews where the focus might be a little faster on the T1i. And as far as the ISO 3200 max vs the 6400 max, is that a huge deal? How dark does it have to be to use ISO that high?
JM667 is offline   Reply With Quote