Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:18 PM   #1

Default Searching for a new point & shoot!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a nice point & shoot camera under $200 and was hoping that you all could help me out!

I'm a college student so a lot, if not all, of my picture taking is going to involve people and parties and I am looking for something that will be able to handle that. Good picture quality and many scene modes (Portrait, Beach, Landscape, Sports, etc.) are also important factors to me. This is the kind of picture quality I am looking for: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2044157_n.jpg

I've done some research on my own and found the Sony Cybershot DSC-W350, Panasonix Lumix DMC-FH20 and the Nikon Coolpix S3000. After reading many reviews on all 3 cameras, they all seem to be pretty well-matched but I have read that all 3 don't seem to do well in low-light situations which is an issue for me and what I would be using the camera for. I'm guessing that I need to be looking for a camera with a strong flash?

If you could suggest a camera to me that would suit me or have any opinions on the 3 cameras that I've mentioned above, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you so much!
haleykang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:41 PM   #2

haleykang-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The features that you are looking for are really features that are found in larger and much higher priced DSLR cameras. The two point and shoot cameras that provide those features are the Canon S-90 and the Samsung EX-1.

The three cameras that you have listed are all just so-so or average cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:56 PM   #3

I understand that there is only so much a camera under $200 can do but I am looking for something that best fits the bill even with the price range. I know that it won't be perfect but I will obviously be willing to settle as long as it is in my price range. As much as I'd like to be able to afford the 2 you suggested, they are too much for me.
haleykang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4

The photo you linked is a flash shot upclose. so any point and shoot can deal with that. It is when you get out of the 10-15ft range that will be a issue with all the cameras listed. Not the best at high iso and low light.

Now sports is something no point and shot really do well in. The only way to get a decent shot is pre focus on the spot and hope the action develops where you set up on. As mtclimber said, what you want to shoot is in the realm of the DSLR's or EVIL's.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Your needs are pretty simple, so you should be ok with any of the 3 mentioned.

the Sony would be my choice, most reviews have been quite positive, it has a good lens, and some fun features to play with like the sweep panoramic. It should serve your needs just fine.

but as mentioned, don't expect to shoot sports with a p&s compact.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:28 AM   #6

How about the Fuji F70 EXR? Fuji cameras are known to take good low light pictures compared to other cameras in their class.
gwlaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:39 AM   #7

Hards has one, and it seems to be a very good camera. But there is very little difference with the smaller sensor when we are talking low light. The only time you really see a difference is when you compare a s90 with the 1/1.63 sensor to the smaller 1/2.23 sensor. The S90 will shoot better from 400 iso to 1600 iso. But you loose the reach when in good lighting with a 4x zoom vs the long zooms of the other camera.

So may want to weigh the benefit of long reach vs better low light. But from the photo you posted all the shots are up close and in flash range. So you will not see any real advantage with any of the camera's mention.

There is also another thread about the fuji. According to Billy on of the test for Steve's it is a very good preforming camera.