Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:17 PM   #11

well with the low light and flash, something like a fuji hs10 may be a good option, as it has a hotshoe. So you can easily add an external flash. Give the camera allot better flash range. The FZ100 is another option with the hotshoe. But the jury is still out on the IQ compare to the FZ35 and HS10.

But for something compact, you are asking allot. But you can look at some of the travel zoom like the sony hx5v, panasonic zx7, and the kodak. But they are all pretty close, and out of flash range you will not get great results with any one of them.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:25 PM   #12

Look at the ZS7 with GPS if you like outdoors...as you can go back when you get home and pull up the coordinates of where you took the pictures to within 2-3ft...

The ZS7 is a lot of fun and has great video also...if you just have to have a waterproof, drop proof rock'em sock'em camera with decent quality photos the Panasonic TS2 should fit the bill...my wife still loves here TS1...

I also own the Olympus Tough 6000 and the Panasonic has much better IQ and colors to me...

Low Light Photos are for DSLR's and most Point & Shoots can't get above ISO800 without degrading the image...

The ZS7 can shoot max ISO400 and still have decent shots, so I leave it set there...

All of the Point and Shoots have lower ISO limits...

We do have a Canon S90 that does very well, but at 3.8X Zoom forget about wildlife...

I mount the FZ35 on a cheaper Carbon Fiber Monopod (Induro) and use it for a hiking stick, but it does have a tripod setup inside the bottom of the Monopod for wildlife which I really like when you take a break on the trail or get where you have a good vantage point...

http://www.indurogear.com/products_d....html#features
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Good low light performance means you need a big sensor.
I know I criticized the SD4000/Ixus 300 HS for lack of detail at 100% in a different thread, but as someone who has only been using compacts so far, I found its low light capabilities to be excellent. That said, it doesn't have 10x zoom, and obviously will never be able to match bigger, more expensive cameras in this department.
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:06 PM   #14

The HS10 is not waterproof but as I found out when it was hit by a stream of water if you dry it off quickly no harm done. Other than that the HS10 is a great camera.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:49 AM   #15

Hello,

This is exactly same situation which i have now.
I have fz35 but i need something smaller and compact.
I drop down my selections to SX130 or z950. z950 is cheaper around here.
I don't need waterproof feature.
This thread comes to end with HS10 but it is not compact. ZS7 or other panasonic models are compact but expensive.
kodak z-915 has good IQ like z-950 but not HD Recording still VGA. Also sarah's picture has a lot of noise at 100% crop within a good light condition.
They generally say sx130 is heavier and it is not thin to put it into your pockets but it is canon at the end. I want to forward for canon dslr so i think it will be good start but not sure.
Other than all, there are Panny FS series 10-11-30-33, they are all pocket friendly but they don't have leica lenses.
wow i really messed up, could anybody help me to figure this out?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:26 AM   #16

Imut u can think one more option that is FujiF300exr ,compact 15x zoom and very small camera .Having feature like 24 mm wide angle and Hd video
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:33 AM   #17

little bit expensive sandeepsaman
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:51 AM   #18

Then let me give you one more option that is kodak M580 .Nice camera with 8x zoom and 14 mp .
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:06 AM   #19

2.3 sensor with 14 MP can create disappointments am i right?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:34 AM   #20

Imut-

I agree with you. I would save some tears and stay away from the Kodak M580, for sure. My #1 suggestion for you is the Canon SX-130. My #2 suggestion for you is the Kodak Z-915, but you want HD video, so it will have to be the Z-950.

Please click on the link below. You will see that the Z-915 and the SX-130 are almost exactly the same size. If your future lies with Canon, get the SX-130.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...0_yFVF4-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote