Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Vacation point and shoot?

Hi all. I'm planning a trip to Disney World and I don't have a cemera. I'm looking to get something point-and-shoot, that will fit in a pocket pretty easily.

I want to take exterior and interior shots at places like Disney, and I'd like to be able to take a clear shot of my nephew driving his go-kart.

I've looked at the Nikon s640 and the s630, The Samsung TL225, the Fuji F70EXR (my favorite so far), and the Panasonic DMC ZR3.

First. Are any of them any good at what I want the camera to do? Next? Which is better for the money?
harpua7859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2

well none will do a great job indoor. But the fuji is the best of the bunch with the panasonic for outdoor shooting. If you are out of flash range for any of the disney indoor rides and attraction. You will not get great results. Stuff that disney spot light on, you may get some decent results indoors.

If you want a good indoor point and shoot you will need to look at something with a larger sensor like the canon s90. It has a brighter lens, and larger sensor. So it is one of the best point and shoots in low light.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured the Fuji was the best bet. That Canon is a bit out of my price range, but otherwise looks like a great pick.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4

harpua-

If you shoot in the Automatic mode, I would definitely not recommend the Fuji F-70 EXR because it requires constant small manual adjustments to get the best photos from it. I would recommend either the Kodak Z-915 or the Canon A-3100, and save the cash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
harpua-

If you shoot in the Automatic mode, I would definitely not recommend the Fuji F-70 EXR because it requires constant small manual adjustments to get the best photos from it.
That's odd. I didn't get that impression from Steve's review at all. Thanks for the information.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:20 PM   #6

Just do some reading in the Fuji P+S folder and you will see what I have said is true.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Just do some reading in the Fuji P+S folder and you will see what I have said is true.

Sarah Joyce
I have done so. Thanks for the heads up. As a novice I'm pretty sure mucking with settings is a bit beyond me. As a pure pocketable point and shoot, i'm thinking the Kodak you suggested is a bit larger than what I want, and the price on the Canon makes me balk. It seems too inexpensive to be any good, if that makes sense.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:59 PM   #8

harpua-

Since size is really important in this case, take a look at the Canon SD-4000. Or better yet, please give us a firm budget, so this discussion can become more directed, specific, and beneficial for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:48 AM   #9

Quote:
harpua-

If you shoot in the Automatic mode, I would definitely not recommend the Fuji F-70 EXR because it requires constant small manual adjustments to get the best photos from it. I would recommend either the Kodak Z-915 or the Canon A-3100, and save the cash.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you here. The FinePix F70EXR's "EXR Auto" mode did Very well during our tests. Take a look at our Samples Page to see for yourself.

harpua7859, go to a local electronics or camera store and try out the F70EXR for yourself. Then take a look at some of the comparable models from Canon, Sony, or Panasonic to name a few.

Lastly, once you've decided, our buy boxes usually have some of the best prices; plus you're helping support the site
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:49 AM   #10

I've actually gone back and forth on the budget quite a bit. $220 was pretty much the top end that I was willing to spend, with the thought that the cameras I was looking at were the best at that price range. I've narrowed it down a bit in my own research and most of the cameras that have been suggested here and which I was originally looking at have fallen off of my list.

I figure, as my first camera in 5 years, I don't need to spend a ton. My last camera was a refurbished Olympus D550-Zoom that I picked up for $20 because the person who dropped it off to get repaired at the CompUSA where I work had abandoned it. I bet I took less than 200 shots with that camera in the 3 years I kept it.

Looking at cameras at $250 and $300 just seems silly, knowing my history with cameras. But looking at cameras for $80 and $90 seems silly too. I want to give myself incentive to actually use the camera, and if it seems "cheap" I will not be inclined to want to use it. $150 - $200 Is really where I'm looking, because if I don't wind up using it much, I don't want to have wasted a pile of money.

That said, the Panasonic FH20/22 are at the top of my list, but I haven't really done much research on comparably priced cameras.