Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:20 PM   #1

Default Good compact to supplement DSLR

From the help of a few of you guys in my other thread, I think I have decided I am going to get a Canon T1i with the 18-55 lens mainly to get shots of my baby as he is growing, and eventually I will add lenses. My thought is to also get a nice compact that I will always have with me for when we are out somewhere and I didn't bring the other camera. Just something that will always be in my pocket or my wife's purse. She has a really old small Nikon but the screen is so tiny you can barely see it, and its slow and old! So I think I have determined low light is not as important, as most of that will be covered with the T1i. Zoom might be nice as I won't have any with the other camera yet, and it will probably be used mainly outdoors, vacations, and anything indoors should be in range of the flash. HD video might be nice too just so I always have that around in case I need it. Someone mentioned the Panasonic ZR1 in the other thread. I thought Id start a new thread that is more specific to this subject to get a few more ideas to look at when I go to the store. The only recent compact I have personally seen pictures from is a Canon 940is that a friend of mine has. He brings that around when he doesnt want to pack his DSLR, and the pictures I have seen look great, even indoors. The video too. The zoom isn't that much though, but I am just throwing that out as an example because that is a nice sized camera to put in your pocket.
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:05 PM   #2

DJ-

The Panasonic ZR-1 would not be a good choice for your stated purposes because it has poor indoor image quality caused by a very week built-in flash unit. The Kodak Z-915 and Z950 have pleased many users on the Forum. For example, the Z-950 sells from around $130 at Amazon and offers 12mp, 10X optical zoom, full manual and auto controls, and HD video that allows zooming while filming. The Z-915 is 10mp, 10X optical zoom, with full manual and auto controls and shoots standard video. It sells at Amazon for around $100.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:56 PM   #3
Super Moderator

The Panasonic ZR1 would be a good choice actually. As you have stated, you have the dslr for the low light moments, and you want something that is pocketable, the ZR1 is quite compact, smaller than the Kodak's (good cameras yes, but not small) and really the flash output between these compacts is really not that different, all 3 cameras have a top end of about 5meters according to specs, and in reality, keep it in 10 feet for good measure.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:13 PM   #4

The zr1 is a tiny camera, good for packing it is a jeans pocket or small jacket pocket. The size of a cell phone. So it is a good travel point and shoot.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:26 PM   #5

Folks-

All you have to do is to read the user reviews. There you will find that the #1 complaint of ZS and ZR series users is poor indoor image quality. That is because the built-in flash for these cameras is tiny and weak.

If indoor photo quality is an issue, then select a different camera like the Canon SX-130.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:27 PM   #6

I looked up the specs on the Kodak and while it does sound like a great camera for the price, that size does look a little big for a pocket cam. I handled a ZS6 and that didn't seem too big. I think I remember shoturtle mentioning the ZR1 was at some Costcos, but I notice online they have a DMC-FH20K with 8z zoom on sale for $150 now. That isnt the same camera with a different name is it?
dj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:30 PM   #7

no it is a different camera, the zr1 is in some costco still.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:45 PM   #8

If you can not find the zr1, the zr3 is another good compact point and shoot.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:33 PM   #9

DJ-

No, the FH-20 is an entirely different camera. It is not one I would suggest.

Sarah Joyce