Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:14 AM   #1

Default Rebel T2i vs Pana G2

Who can make an informed comparison of the Rebel Kiss 4/T2i and the Panasonic G2? I am caught trying to chose between them.

There is not much of a price difference here so price is not a factor. Quality - sharpness, colours, etc., speed, logical interface and ergonomics, are key.

For the past several years I used Canon's SD 750 and 850 - nice colour, but soft photos (on the 850), poor zoom range, and terrible indoor and action photos (expected from a point and shoot).

Switched to Panasonic ZS7 recently and enjoy the added intelligence but the colour is a little dull. I love Canon's vivid colour setting and the opportunity to shoot scenery in 16:9 ratio.

Any comparisons between the two cameras and recommendations or comments for someone choosing between the two would be great.

Thank you -

Last edited by mommy_barbie; Aug 31, 2010 at 1:19 AM.
mommy_barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:33 AM   #2
Super Moderator

You mention indoor and also action, what sort of things are you thinking of in this area as this is potentially the hardest section for a camera to perform well so could be the main decision maker.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:12 PM   #3

Default G2 versus T2i

Hi there,

regarding the comparison between these two cameras, we have kids so there are a lot of indoor concerts, school plays (awful lighting) and other indoor activities as well as indoor and outdoor sports (soccer, basketball, etc.). Even visiting indoors with family etc. especially over holidays like Christmas is important. However, I do take an obscene number of scenery shots (the reason why I am keen on colour and widescreen, e.g. 16:9 ratio shots) so I need something that performs very nicely in the outdoor setting as well. I also do macros and portrait shots from time-to-time.

Any additional reply would be great - not sure how all this ended up in the welcome forum (my apologies) - hopefully this reply gets to the right place.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:13 PM   #4

Default Also Video

Hi again Mark,

I should also mention that we reply almost 100% on my camera for any video we take - both indoor and outdoor.

Thanks again,
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Moved it for you

For video the Panasonic is the winner due to the AF working in video, for the sports/action/low light then the Canon wins.

For the indoor sports, where would you be shooting from, are you able to get next to the court or you are in the seats?

16:9, as far as I know won't give a wider angle but rather just cut off the top and bottom which you can do in post production anyway.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:24 PM   #6

Hi Mark,

Very nice of you to move that - thank you for your help!

We are often in the seats at games so it is best to be prepared for that just in case. If we are lucky we get up front, but for concerts, our kids are usually stuck in the middle or the back so this again creates some distance.

I'm surprised about the video - it's good I posted - I was thinking the Canon might be better due to the 1280 vs. 1080 video (at least I think those are the numbers).

Regarding post-production, I would rather take the shot that way in the first place otherwise I would be on the computer processing forever : ) Don't really want to give up good colour and image quality though.

What about IS? I don't think the Rebel has it? Does it matter much? I'm a little shaky and I used to blur some of the pics on our pre-digital/analog camera. Nowadays the technology seems much improved overall so not sure if I need this.

How about lenses? Are you familiar with lenses for either camera? I've heard that the standard kit lenses are not particularly good.

Thanks Mark for your replies - you sure know your stuff.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Super Moderator

You are welcome, I'm not sure about knowing my stuff, but I try

I'm a Canon shooter so have a better knowledge of the range.

Regarding IS, it is helpful when you have a stationary subject and need to use slow shutter speeds. IS is no good for moving subjects as they will cause blur by movement if the shutter is too slow and also you don't need to worry about it for sports as you should always have enough shutter speed for shooting them that IS won't be functioning.

Back to video, for the Canon you will basically be doing manual focus when shooting. Is this a problem, possibly, if you have moving subjects (closer and further away) then you need to change the focus which is a bit of a pain. For me video in camera is nice to have but I wouldn't want it as my only option. I use my Canon SX1 or Panasonic FT2 more for video than any of my dSLRs that have the option.

The kit lens on the Canon is actually pretty good, as for the Panasonic I can't recall, but think I read recently that the current kit lens isn't quite up to the standard of the previous..... you would need to check that out more.

Regarding post production, this is usually a part of owning a dSLR over a point and shoot. It is however possible to boost the settings in the camera to give you pretty much what you want out of it, however most of us using one like the control we get by doing so in PP as the control is there rather than giving it to the camera.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:56 PM   #8

Default Camera comparison

Thank you again Mark - it sounds like we almost need a DSLR for all the indoor, sports etc. and the Panasonic for mobility, video and scene shots without PP : )

Maybe we need two cameras (heh, heh, heh).

Will return to the shop today to see what I can handle physically as I know that the DSLR packs more heft than the G2 even though the Rebel is a relatively small DSLR camera.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:06 PM   #9

Actually that is not to far off, I have a dslr for the action and very low light shooting, and a epl-1 for travel and regular low light shooting. There is no 1 perfect camera. And what you ask is something it split between the different types of cameras.