Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Also if 18x is a good range for you the FZ35 would be a good choice. But if you need more reach of of 24x or 30x you may want to seriously consider the HS10.
Or...reduce the number of MP to 5 on the FZ35 and you can zoom 28.1x. Reduce to 3 MP and you can get 35.2x. Of course the HS10 will give you 30x at full resolution but unless you need that much reach all the time, the FZ35 will let you capture that far away object.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:04 PM   #12

Reducing resolution is another route. But knowing what the photos needs are will determine which is better. Some people want that longer reach pass 18x, and others do not need quite as much.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:42 PM   #13

I have shot them both, still learning on the FZ100...it is very similar in manner to the HS10...it can take good and marginal pictures at times, not as consistent as the FZ35...if video is a big part of your purchase the FZ100 has very good HD video the FZ35 has good video...

For the best consistency the FZ35 is hands down a better camera than the FZ100...it is user friendly and just a great all-around point & shoot there are none better on the market right now...there are plenty of sample of it in action on every website you could possibly imagine on the web...there are some people that have taken photos with the FZ35 that absolutely amaze me...

It is small and light and can easily be carried when a DSLR would be in the way...

I have purchased 4 used ones from Amazon Warehouse Deals and one used one from B&H Photo ALL like new...the one I got from B&H was $230 shipped to my home like new...it is the best bang for the buck there is on the market...

You can add a Teleconversion and also a Macro Lens for even more fun...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:17 PM   #14

i really appreciate all the feedback... sorry i've been away for some time...

Quote:
.......you may want to seriously consider the HS10. .....
well i have been giving it a serious thought but i hear it has IS problems in movie mode also the IQ isnt much better than the FZ100 or am i wrong ?

Quote:
Can you tell us what kind of shooting you normally do. That way it helps to figure out which would fit your needs better......
well... dont have any particular needs .. i follow photography as a hobby and do all sorts of shooting. i have uploaded few shots at www.flickr.com/photos/hazizk/ which will give you some idea about the camerawork i do ( mostly shots from nikon's 3MP E3200 and s630)

I am mostly interested in learning, so basically looking for an all around camera with good control, some extra zoom and an acceptable low light performance... that's why my first choice was FZ38 but after reading about FZ100.... the longer zoom, Full HD and HS movie, burst mode and all the other gadgetry features, started leaning towards it ( being an electronics engineer my self, i know how technologically advance FZ100 is and so been itching to get my hands on it )

anyways... i guess ill wait a little longer for some more reviews on FZ100 & 45 and will make an informed decision then.

btw.. any thoughts on FZ45 ?
hazizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:28 PM   #15

The FZ38 looks to have better IQ then the FZ100 or FZ40 form early results. The 14mp vs the 12mp of the fz35 shows the pixel pack does seem to degrade IQ a bit.

But form your flickr, pretty much any of the camera's mention would work nicely. It does not seem you need 720mm reach from that 30x zoom of the HS10. The FZ38 looks like it can fit your needs, and save you some money also.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:16 PM   #16

hazizsk-

After reviewing your Flickr photos it looks like the FZ-35/38 is your best choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:53 AM   #17

I've reached the same conclusion ... but whats nagging me is fz35 being almost an year old might get outdated soon... of course i wont be using most of the features on new fz100/hs10/ or any other camera, all the time but thought of having them on hand when ever needed feels nice

on my flickr u wont find any night shots or to many closeups... its either coz my camera wasn't able to capture anything in low light or there wasn't enough zoom ( as i like to photograph things from some distance).. so basically what i am saying is i am looking for something which doesn't get archaic for at least another 2-3 years and also give me some freedom to experiment.

I've read several reviews and forums ... everyone is parsing FZ38, its IQ and all that .... but really what i am interested in knowing is, where it doesn't do well..are there any short comings... basically what it lacks in terms of IQ?

Quote:
The FZ38 looks to have better IQ then the FZ100 or FZ40 form early results. The 14mp vs the 12mp of the fz35 shows the pixel pack does seem to degrade IQ a bit.
i probably am making fool of myself by asking this... but cant FZ100/FZ40 be used on 10-12 MP settings ?! how will the IQ be then compared to FZ38? of course 14 MP will be there when needed but for better IQ can always use lower MPs ?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:13 AM   #18

14mp will not give you better IQ, what it will give you is a tad more details. But it will bring with it the pixel density noise for having them pack so close to each other.

The weakness of all the smaller sensor megazoom is when you get out of flash range. Low light requiring 800 iso or better, will not be that good. Also at times you may get a purple fringe on some photos that seems happen sometimes with the FZ35, not sure yet if there is that issue with the FZ40 or FZ100.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:08 AM   #19

Quote:
14mp will not give you better IQ, what it will give you is a tad more details. But it will bring with it the pixel density noise for having them pack so close to each other.
but using 14MP sensor at 10MP wouldn't reduce the noise hence improve the IQ ?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:10 AM   #20

What I usually do with cameras that are good but cannot handle high pixel density well is to reduce the number of MP. I shoot with the ZS7 at 8MP instead of 12 and IQ is much better. So, that's always an option if this is a primary issue.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote