Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Default panasonic FZ100 any better than FZ35 ?

HI,

I was very close to buying FZ35 when i came across pany's FZ100 and now i cant decide which one to get.
Of course the FZ100 stands out due to its features but i've seen mixed reviews on its IQ.

so any comments on FZ100's IQ compared to FZ35 will be appreciated, specially from some who has handled them both.

Thanks
hazizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:37 AM   #2

hazizk-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

You are correct, the FZ-100 seems to have a few problems. Currently there appears to be a problem with image quality with photos taken with ISO settings of ISO 400 and above. There is a large on going discussion of those exact problems on our Panasonic P+S folder.

In contrast, the FZ-35 remains one of the most successful super zoom cameras ever produced.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3

I agree.What abt Fuji Film finepix HS10?It's getting alot of praises too.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
hazizk-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

You are correct, the FZ-100 seems to have a few problems. Currently there appears to be a problem with image quality with photos taken with ISO settings of ISO 400 and above. There is a large on going discussion of those exact problems on our Panasonic P+S folder.

In contrast, the FZ-35 remains one of the most successful super zoom cameras ever produced.

Sarah Joyce
thanx for a warm welcome ... ususally a little googling do the trick, but FZ100 is fairly new so havn't been able to find any comprehensive reviews hence started this thread ( which i usually dont do )

as for the FZ35 i'll agree with you there it is probably one of the best superzoom cameras .. considering the price tag and the features it offers... initially i was considering powershot sx20 IS... finally decided to go for FZ35 but then FZ100 came out with tilt/swivel- LCD and 24x zoom... its like a FZ35/SX20-combo and thats what got me thinking again.

I read some where that FZ35 has problems with higher ISO settings as well .. is it true ? all i am looking for is to know how bad is FZ100 in terms of IQ... coz i havn't been able to find any side by side IQ comparison of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
HS10 seems great too but i hear there's some problem with its manual zoom\focus which is creating IQ issues..i am not sure though. do you have any knowledge of that?

also in terms of photography i am an experienced beginner at best... he he he
been using all sorts of digital compacts from Nikon, canon and sony but this would be my first real camera !!... so dont want to get something which i wont be able to handle properly
hazizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:12 PM   #5

Think you are looking at the top 2 megazoom on the market currently. But all will have high iso issues once you get out of flash range. 800iso is about max with all the samples from the fuji and panasonic forums.

You may want to post in the panasonic forum and the fuji forums. You can get some good info in there.

Between the 2 it is really a toss up in IQ, the HS10 has the best reach.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 1, 2010 at 2:45 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:44 PM   #6

Shoturtle-

I believe that you are missing a key element. The FZ-35 is truly a user friendly camera, much more so than the HS-10 and the FZ-100 with their BDI-CMOS imagers. I own both the FZ-35 and the HS-10. So I have a lot of hands on experience in working with these two cameras that you do not.

You can much more easily get very good image quality and take the ISO up to ISO 800, on the FZ-35 quickly, as opposed to the HS-10. Clearly the HS-10 has a longer learning curve and it takes more time to become accustomed to the camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:47 PM   #7

No I am not, if he wants the best info on those 2 camera, ask in those forums, and you will get the best answer to questions.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:55 PM   #8

I think that is a great idea, Shoturtle-

The OP can see a wide variety of images and can ask all the appropriate questions.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Yes, but it also has its share of issues. There's no doubt that the 30x manual zoom lens is an excellent feature. However, overall I think the FZ35 has less issues (at least I hardly find users complaining about its performance). The FZ100 on the other hand, has some IQ issues not shared by the FZ35. I'd go with the FZ35 even though it has a shorter lens. The IQ is superb.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:10 PM   #10

I agree with tullio, the FZ35 has better IQ over the FZ40 and FZ100 form the early samples. It actually falls into the same situation as the panny zs3 vs zs7.

Also if 18x is a good range for you the FZ35 would be a good choice. But if you need more reach of of 24x or 30x you may want to seriously consider the HS10.

Can you tell us what kind of shooting you normally do. That way it helps to figure out which would fit your needs better.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote