Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Dominick-
The Nikon D-3100 and the Perntax Kx are very good entry level DSLRs camera worth considering.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah,

The D-3100 looks like it might just be out of my price range.
Where does the D3000 fit with the D40 & D3100?

Between the D3000 & Kx, which has better image quaility?
Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:10 PM   #12

braciola-

Between the Pentax Kx and and the Nikon D-3000, I feel that the Kx is a bit better because it has a great lowlight capability.

However, with a DSLR camera you must stand ready to do some post processing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:16 PM   #13

Quote:
braciola-
However, with a DSLR camera you must stand ready to do some post processing.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you Sarah,

Since I'm new to DSLR's could you please explain what you mean by this?

So, I can't just take pictures and upload them to "my picture" on my PC and have them ready ready to use like my old SD 850?
There has to be some kind of "processing" done first?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:19 PM   #14

Braciola-

You have the concept correctly. DSLR cameras have much less in camera sharpening and exposure correction. In contrast, with a DSLR camera, the expectation is that the user is going to make those corrections with some kind of photo editing program.

Some folks like editing their photos, other do not. So, I thought that I had better mention that. An alternative plan would be to take a good look at the new Canon SX-130. The initial photos from the SX-130 look really good. And yes the Canon SX-130 does have some nice in camera post processing, so your photos look great as you download them. The SX-130 also has 12X optical zoom and HD video as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:34 PM   #15

Oh man, I was all excited to get the Pentax Kx!

So, if I'm one of those who don't like to edit my photos, the unprocessed pictures that come directly from the Kx and uploaded to my PC will be sub par?
Does the Pentax Kx come with an editing program, or do I have to purchase one separately?
Is it time consuming and difficult to edit the photos? or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Hmmmm, the S90 might be right for me after all. ?
But since I'll have to use the S90 in manual mode for best quality, will I also have to post edit the pictures from the S90 like I would from a DSLR?
If so, I guess I'll just look more closely at the best point & shoot to use in "Auto" with top marks for image quality & low light (non flash)shooting. (again, I'll don't care about zoom, video, or flash)

Thank you again for all your help!
(hurry Sarah, Wake Up! I need more help! LOL! )

Dominick

Last edited by Braciola; Sep 6, 2010 at 2:30 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:13 PM   #16

Whoa, Braciola-

I am a volunteer professional, I am not some paid staffer. I have promptly answered every single of your posts promptly, plus this is indeed a Holiday weekend, when most folks are out enjoying the Holiday with their families.

You can begin photo editing very easily. Just download "Picasa" from www.google.com, it is absolutely free. It is an easy to use program that is very intuitive. That should be sufficient to get you going and it makes the Pentax Kx still a very real possibility for you.

As to the S-90, all you have to do is to switch the Mode Selector to "P" for program and then just shoot as you always have. No further adjustments are required. And yes, when using the "P" mode the S-90 will post process your photos for you. Then you just down load to"My Photos," as you have in the past.

I just thought you ought to know what was involved with each camera. And yes, I do feel badly that you think I am slow in providing you with information and data. You have really had great support and rapid answers on a Holiday Weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:00 PM   #17

Hi there, Braciola-

I just wanted you to know that I checked this thread for your reply, but you have not replied yet.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Whoa, Braciola-

I am a volunteer professional, I am not some paid staffer. I have promptly answered every single of your posts promptly, plus this is indeed a Holiday weekend, when most folks are out enjoying the Holiday with their families.
......And yes, I do feel badly that you think I am slow in providing you with information and data. You have really had great support and rapid answers on a Holiday Weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Whoa yourself there Sarah!
Surely you saw my "LOL! & Big Smiley Face" after my comment?
I was joking around, and thought it was pretty funny (sice you were always quick to answer my questions), but I see you took it the wrong way, and for that I sincerly appologize.

Anyway, I'll give the S-90 a fair shot and report back with some thoughts & pictures.

Thank you,
Dominick
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:13 PM   #19

Dominick-

OK, I will take it in that vein. Thanks for clearing things up. Yes, do give the S-90 a try. It is an excellent camera and used in the P mode should perform in the same way as your defunct SD-90.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:20 AM   #20

Okay, got my S90 today.

It's 1:00 AM and I just finished taking some shots in my home.
First impressions are VERY favorable.
IQ far exceeds my SD850 (and my expectations)

When A/Bing from "Auto" mode to "P", the "P' mode wins out every time, even without further tweaks.
With tweaks in "P" mode, I'm getting some really nice pictures (and it's 1:00 AM!)

Can't wait for the sun to come up tomorrow!
Fun camera, I think I'll be very happy with it.
Once I explore the camera further, I'll be more than happy to share some pictures.

So far, the only cons for me are that the shutter button is a little out of reach.
And, (more of a gripe than a con) the P90 is priced a bit too high for what it is.

Many thanks Sarah for all your help!

Dominick