Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:46 AM   #21

Hi Dominick-

I am pleased to hear that the S-90 may indeed work out for you. It is also good that you have seen the difference between the image quality in the Automatic and "P" or Program Mode, as there is indeed a difference.

I found that I quickly got used to that unique shutter button placement.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:08 AM   #22

Okay here's a quick follow up.....

After experimenting more with the manual controls and taking more pictures, I've come to the conclusion that even though the S90 does take some very nice pictures (possible the best for a point & shoot) overall IQ is still not as great as I'm looking for.

For my business,
like the SD 850 I'm replacing, I still find myself spending too much time, taking too many shots of a guitar to find a few "keeper" shots that I feel are good enough to advertise the guitar I'm going to sell.

For the price of the S90, I might as well return it and upgrade to my first DSLR and get the Pentax Kx.

I'm hoping that after getting comfortable with the Kx, and learning the basics on how to post process my pictures, I'll be able to spend less time, and take fewer pictures to get the results I'm looking for.

I know it's going to take time, and the more time I spend with the Kx, the better I'll get, but are there any quick "tips" with the Kx to get me started?

I'm so backed up with guitars and I really need to start taking decent pictures right off the bat.
Is the "manual" setting worth staring at, or should I just jump right into another setting?
Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:36 AM   #23

Dominick-

Well you are in the best position to judge if the Canon S-90 will handle your needs. The move to the a DSLR is a logical one. Perhaps you might want to increase your photo skills as well as you learn the Pentax Kx. Perhaps a Community College course.

In short, we get better by taking lots of photos and gradually, and progressively, gaining experience and correcting our mistakes.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:47 AM   #24
Super Moderator

I think Sarah hits on a good point here. There is a learning curve as you move from P&S to the DSLR world. Namely you now have to worry about depth of field, small p&s have huge DOF so you really dont need to worry about it much, but as you move to dslrs, at large apertures your DOF is going to really shrink, which can lead to some "missed" photos that that the naive user will not interpret correctly and think their DSLR isnt performing up to par. Another thing to consider is that most DSLR photos will be softer and less vivid than the p&s, this is because the default image parameters are set to allow more flexibility in postprocessing. so some minor post-processing skills are helpful for a dslr user. these are just but 2 things that come into play when you move into the dslr realm, they are not difficult to master, just takes a little time. a course at the CC as Sarah mentioned, or online course, etc could be helpful if you want to learn it faster than just at your own pace.

not saying he KX is not the right choice, it is a much more capable kit, just want you to be as informed as possible.