Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:03 PM   #1

Default Need to Replace my Canon SD850 IS

The camera dropped to my tile floor while the lens was out and is damaged beyond repair.

Not necessarily looking for an identical match up to this camera.
The camera work okay for what I was doing, but I'm sure you guys could recommend a better replacement.
Let me tell you what I'm shooting and maybe I can get some suggestion.

I buy & sell high end custom guitars., and that's what I'm shooting.
With the SD850, I found that some of my best shots of the guitars were indoors on my kitchen table with some indirect lighting (I have a couple of bright lights shooting up at a the ceiling)
I will also take the guitars out to my local park right at sundown to get some shots.

That's all I will be using the camera for.
I really don't want to get more advanced with a SLR/DSLR at this time.
So, I'm looking for a very good point & shoot thats at the top of the bunch for image quality & indoor/lower light pictures.
Zoom, Flash & Video doesn't really matter (although, once and a while I would take some pretty good close up shots of a guitars rosewood fretboard grain using the SD 850's Digital Macro option)

So far, with a minimal amount of research I spotted the Canon S90. ??
Thank you!
Dominick

EDIT:

okay, I think I may have jumped the gun on ordering a S90

It will be here this Wednesday 9-8-10

Won't really know until I try it out though.

After reading more reviews on this camera, I read that to get the best shots with the S90 you have to go off Auto mode to Manual and tinker around to get your best picture, and in Auto mode, it doesn't really take any better pictures than other point & shoots for far less money (probably worse pictures with the exception of very low light)

That kinda defeats the whole purpose for me getting a point & shoot.
If I'm going to tinker around in Manual mode I might as well go with a SLR, and I'm seriously considering returning the S90 when it arrives and doing just that.

A couple of years back I did some research here and choose the SD850 IS (the camera I just broke & am looking to replace).
At that time, I was on the fence about going for it, and the highly rated Nikon SLR D40 because of it's price and was said to be an excellent camera for those entering into the world of DSL's.

My question is, if I decide to return the point & shoot S90 and buy a highly rated entry level DSL, is the D40 still worth considering? Can you still buy them brand new? or is there a replacement of that model or a different camera in the same price range on par with, or better than the D40 worth looking into?

Thank you!!!!!
Dominick

Last edited by Braciola; Sep 5, 2010 at 9:52 AM.
Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:02 PM   #2

Dominick-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Canon S-90 or the newer S-95 would be an excellent choice for your needs.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Dominick-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Canon S-90 or the newer S-95 would be an excellent choice for your needs.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah, S-90 is on it's way from B&H!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:54 PM   #4

Dominick-

Congratulations on your new S-90. It is a great camera. Enjoy!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:10 AM   #5

okay, I think I may have jumped the gun on ordering a S90

It will be here this Wednesday 9-8-10

Won't really know until I try it out though.

After reading more reviews on this camera, I read that to get the best shots with the S90 you have to go off Auto mode to Manual and tinker around to get your best picture, and in Auto mode, it doesn't really take any better pictures than other point & shoots for far less money (probably worse pictures with the exception of very low light)

That kinda defeats the whole purpose for me getting a point & shoot.
If I'm going to tinker around in Manual mode I might as well go with a SLR, and I'm seriously considering returning the S90 when it arrives and doing just that.

A couple of years back I did some research here and choose the SD850 IS (the camera I just broke & am looking to replace).
At that time, I was on the fence about going for it, and the highly rated Nikon SLR D40 because of it's price and was said to be an excellent camera for those entering into the world of DSL's.

My question is, if I decide to return the point & shoot S90 and buy a highly rated entry level SLR, is the D40 still worth considering? Can you still buy them brand new? or is there a replacement of that model or a different camera in the same price range on par with, or better than the D40 worth looking into?

Thank you!!!!!
Dominick

Last edited by Braciola; Sep 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braciola View Post
At that time, I was on the fence about going for it, and the highly rated Canon SLR D40 because of it's price and was said to be an excellent camera for those entering into the world of DSL's.
Watch out! The D40 was a Nikon DSLR. The Canon model you are referring
to is the 40D. This was a great camera in it's day (2007), but it was replaced
by the Canon 50D and very recently by the new 60D.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:00 AM   #7

Quote:
My question is, if I decide to return the point & shoot S90 and buy a highly rated entry level DSL, is the D40 still worth considering? Can you still buy them brand new? or is there a replacement of that model or a different camera in the same price range on par with, or better than the D40 worth looking into?

Thank you!!!!!
Dominick
The 40D or 50D was never an entry level camera. Entry level
Canons are the 1000D 10MP and 450D 12MP. These models
have been around for a couple of years, so they don't have all
the features found on newer models like the 500D(T1i) and
550D(T2i)
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:47 AM   #8

Dominick-

While it is quite true that the "Automatic" mode of the S-90 is not well remembered for its image quality, simply switching to the "P" or program mode which works just like Automatic, does indeed produce very good image quality. if you wanted to stay with a P+S camera, also take a look at the Canon Sd-4000.

I would surely give the S-90 a try, before sending in packing. Please keep in mind that a DSLR camera, while being more expensive, and producing very good image quality, is larger and assumes that the user has more photographic experience. DSLR cameras also do far less in camera post processing, as they make the assumption, that the user will manually post process their own images.

The Nikon D-40 (the camera you posted about, circa 2006), has now been replaced by the Nikon D-3100. The Nikon D-40 was unique, as it did indeed do in camera post processing, and it was specifically designed for folks who wanted to make an easy transition from a P+S camera to a DSLR camera. by the way I still use my D-40.

The Nikon D-3100 and the Perntax Kx are very good entry level DSLRs camera worth considering.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 5, 2010 at 9:53 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:55 AM   #9

Sorry guys, I meant the Nikon D40, not Canon
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Sorry guys, I meant the Nikon D40, not Canon
This all reminds me of the Peoples Front of Judea gag from
The Life of Brian

"Are you the Judean Peoples Front?"
"Eff Off!, we're the Peoples Front of Judea"