Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:28 PM   #1

Default Canon SD4000is vs. Sony WX5 - Help me choose

I am in the market for a new tiny point and shoot camera to carry with me.

My main concerns and needs in the camera are:
- Good Video. at least 720 res, and being able to use the optical zoom while recording.
- Taking photos in low light. Low house lighting, around a camp fire, caving. etc.
- Fairly fast burst modes, and little shutter delays.

I record alot of video, mainly some camping and offroading adventures. I often dash mount my cameras also.
I also take alot of photos of moving objects, such as the offroading.
But I also find myself taking alot of shots that are indoors, with low light, or outside at night. Around a camp fire, hiking, etc.
I also like taking photos suck as long exposure night shots, HDR, and other wide range photos like that.
I also do alot of pana photos, I know the Sony has a builtin feature for that, and thats great if it works well. But its not a huge concern, I use a program called AutoStitch that works great for that.

So, I have narrowed it down to two cameras. The Canon SD4000is, and the Sony WX5.

I know that the WX5 isnt out yet, so there may not be much info on it. I have been reading WX1 reviews to get an idea of how the camera might be.

So, I am looking for any advice you guys may have. What the pros and cons of each camera are, and which you think I would be most happy with.

Thanks
~John
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:53 PM   #2

John-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Sony WX-5 still remains a complete question mark. It will take time to learn more. I had a WX-1, that I eventually sold off, but my primary complaint was it was basically a fully automatic camera that really did not allow much in the way adjustments. I surely do hope that will be addressed in the WX-5.

The Canon SD-4000 is a more technically modern camera that comes much closer to the mark than the WX-1. I purchased a SD-4000, and in the end opted for the S-90. I was pleased with the SD-4000, and it did especially well with macro shots.

My husband is a dedicated video fan who prefers to use his own high end video cameras. Therefore, video has not been a large priority for me.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:49 PM   #3

Default Review Needed

When will we have a complete review on the WX5? Too keen to buy it soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
John-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Sony WX-5 still remains a complete question mark. It will take time to learn more. I had a WX-1, that I eventually sold off, but my primary complaint was it was basically a fully automatic camera that really did not allow much in the way adjustments. I surely do hope that will be addressed in the WX-5.

The Canon SD-4000 is a more technically modern camera that comes much closer to the mark than the WX-1. I purchased a SD-4000, and in the end opted for the S-90. I was pleased with the SD-4000, and it did especially well with macro shots.

My husband is a dedicated video fan who prefers to use his own high end video cameras. Therefore, video has not been a large priority for me.

Sarah Joyce
sb3300 is offline   Reply With Quote