Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:27 PM   #1

Default i have the same delimma 1000d/ d3000

hi everybody,
i love photography, atfirst i was thinking to buy a p&s/bridge cameras but then think that according to the picture quality its better to invest in a slr, so i am planning to buy a new dslr, that's going to be my first one. i 've very low budget, around 500$ to 550$. my consideration is canon 1000d /nikon d3000 and both are coming inside my budget, so now you guises please help me to choose the best and also recommend if there any other came inside my budget. my preferences are-
1)best photo quality, 2)good auto focus, 3)low light photography
[i mostly shoot landscape, portrait and macro type]
avishek89_roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:35 PM   #2

low light neither of the cameras you are looking at will out do each other. They only shoot up 1600iso well. But will give you better low light then any point and shoot bridge camera. But not great in the dslr world.

If your budget is for just one lens. I would seriously consider the pentax k-x. It is right in your budget with one lens. It will out perform both the other cameras in low light. It has a very good AF system also, and great photo quality.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKKX1855K
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:56 PM   #3

thank you sir for your kind reply..
i found this camera very interesting but when i search for dealer & service center in india then i am very much disapoint. here are those link
http://www.pentax.com/distri_asia.html
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support...ntry-asia.html
so i think to stick with either Canon / Nikon . so please help me to choose between there...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Yeah, that would be a problem with service.

The AF system on the canon is better then the nikon. But next to that, they are both very evenly match in performance. The only thing to consider is that, with the nikon dxxxx series. It will not work with some of the less expensive nikon lenses on the market. With the canon you can get a decent low light lens like the ef 50mm 1.8 for about 90 US dollars. Something similar with the nikon will be the AF-s 50mm 1.8 which is 450 dollars. Or the af-s 35mm 1.8 which is about 190 dollars.

Think if budget is a concern. The canon would be the better option for growth, as all eos lenses will work on the 1000d.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:15 PM   #5

thanks a lot. that's the answer i want from you guises. actually i am also leaning toward canon. thank you very much...
just one more question.. how is the picture quality of rebel xs??
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:17 PM   #6

From what you may be uses to, it will be a big jump in quality.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:25 PM   #7

Also if you want to check out the photo quality between the 2, check out this link. Just put in the XS and the d3000 in the drop down menus. And you will get a good comparison.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:06 PM   #8

Default help me please..

one more thing- canon 1000d come with non IS kit lens, so is it a good deal to go with a non IS lens in 18-55mm lens? i mean, is 18-55mm lens really need IS? because some says in such small lens, it's not worthy. otherwise i have to spend near 100$ more to have a 18-55mm IS lens exchanging the kit ones.
and please compare the canon 1000d's 7AF vs nikon d3000's 11AF, how does this effect in practical life?

Last edited by avishek89_roy; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:02 PM   #9

IS is definitely better.

As for AF, i always use the centre spot. In Auto it will choose for itself, with the Canon.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote