Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:45 PM   #1

Default P+S up to $300

Hello. Hoping you guys can help me make this decision. I'm looking for a P+S camera under $300 to take with me for indoor events and for traveling.

I realize a P+S can only do so much in these categories, but my main priorities are I want decent indoor pictures even if flash is not used, and relatively quick shot-to-shot delay. First more important than the second.

I will mostly be shooting in Auto/Scene modes, though ability to over/underexpose a bit is good. More than 4x optical zoom would be nice, but not required.

I don't like tiny cameras, though I have small hands. Not problems with the buttons at all, they just don't feel as stable when they're tiny. Also prefer metal body, for the bit of extra weight. Something like the Canon SD1200 is too small. Something like Canon SX120 is a tad big (though I haven't actually seen this one in person yet)

I don't care about video at all.

I've only ever had Canon, so most comfortable with that. But open to anything, really.

I am looking at Nikon S8000, and Canon SX120. What else should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your help.
cheemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2

SX120 is a good camera, but canon just came out with the sx130, it has a little more resolution, and 12x zoom. But a more realistic iso for a point and shoot 1600iso vs the unusable 3200iso as it's max. The SX120 and SX120 is not that large like the older sx20.

I would pass on the nikon's point and shoot, they just to not perform as well as other point and shoots on the market.

But if indoor flash and non flash work is the number one factor. You will need to give up on a long zoom. And go with a point and shot with a larger sensor of 1/1.63 and a fast lens. Form canon you can look at the s90 or s95. They would give you really good indoor results. But you are limited in zoom range to about 3.8x. But this is a small camera in size. The larger G11 is another good indoor camera, a bit larger.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3

Yes, indoor image quality is more important to me than the long zoom. I just didn't know what to look for in the specs, but now you've told me. Thanks!

I actually really like the canon s90, though price is a bit high.
Are there other cameras of other brands that are somewhat comparable to the s90?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:17 PM   #4

The other camera with the large sensor are panasonic lx3 and lx5, and the samsung EX1 all have the larger sensor beside the canon s90, s95 and G11. But all the larger sensors are cameras will be expensive. The S90 is being replace by the S95. So the S90 may come down in price.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:35 AM   #5

Thanks for your help shoturtle!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:39 AM   #6

To be honest only the larger sensor camera can shoot ok at 1600iso. The smaller sensor are good to 600iso, and ok at 800iso.

Low light is really the realm of dslr's and EVIL camera's.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:38 AM   #7

I found the SD4000/Ixus 300 HS to take very nice pictures indoors at higher ISOs. I was actually very pleasantly surprised. Then again, I'm used to compacts with terrible low-light performance, so the SD4000/300 HS might not look very good to someone who is used to taking pictures with higher-end cameras.
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:14 AM   #8

The SD4000 is not bad, it has a bright lens, but it will not match the larger sensor cameras like the s90