Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2010, 2:56 PM   #1

Default Fuji S200EXR...Love the manual zoom but....

Newbie here looking for a new all around camera. I had a Panasonic fz18 for years which just recently went out on me. I did a lot of research and really liked the features and reviews on the Fujifilm Finepix s200exr...or so I thought. I just got it, but after playing around all day I am REALLY not liking the noise on my indoor shots. I have tried a range of the different auto settings and turned the ISO down as far as the auto allows, to max 400. The reason I picked this camera was because of the manual zoom and focus rings, which I am really loving the zoom ring, as well as several of the unique auto features and modes. I am very interested in learning more about photography and learning how to use it more manually, but also want to have a camera that I (as well as when others use it) can rely on the auto modes. I predominantly take pics of my kids, 2 and 4 yrs old, so need a fast camera to prevent motion blur (with my fz18 I honestly kept the setting on indoor or outdoor sports all the time if that helps). I would also say that at least half or slightly more of my pics are of my kids indoors, that's why I am so disappointed with the s200exr's low light noise.

So question is, did I make a mistake? I can still return it but need to decide soon. Am I just doing something wrong? Is there another camera on the market (in the $400 or under range) that has a manual zoom ring but might take better indoor, low-light. high speed pics? Keeping in mind that my biggest priority is just really good pics of my kids, and secondary priority would be that I might be able to use it to learn more about manual photography.

Thanks for any opinions.
jbmom06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:27 PM   #2

Been playing with the P setting more and getting better results. Still absolutely love the zoom ring! Would really appreciate if there are any opinions though as to if there are any other p&s cameras on the market that I should be looking at that have the manual zoom ring as well, I am having a hard time finding more than just a couple but don't know if I am missing something. Wondering if maybe I should try finding an old Pany FZ50 since I loved my old FZ18 so much.

Any thoughts for this mom who just loves taking pics of her family and is eager to learn about photography?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:41 PM   #3

jbmom-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Most folks do not particularly like the Fuji EXR system. It takes multiple small but constant manual adjustments to get the most from the EXR system.

The Panasonic FZ-35, which is a very user friendly camera with very good image quality is a much more usable choice in a super zoom. It is also now at its all time low price which makes it particularly attractive. The FZ-35 at 12mp has much better high ISO capabilities, than either the new FZ-40/45 or the FZ-100.

The FZ-35, rather than the much more complex Fuji S-200ECR, would serve an as excellent camera on which you could learn more about photography. Just check the posts in the Fuji P+S folder to read about EXR adjustments.

The real bonus is that we have a very active and sizable group of FZ-35 users who are very helpful in getting FZ-35 users off to a very good start. They have even developed "A FZ-35 Beginner's Guide."

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:49 PM   #4

mtclimber

Thank you so much for your input! I will say that the FZ35 has been on my list as well, mainly as a fall back if I can't find something with the zoom ring I was liking so much, and honestly it may be what I end up with. I noticed in my research that you had mentioned you owned an old FZ50 (at least at one time according to an older post , any thoughts on that or is it just as tricky as the Fuji is being? I have seen some used ones for decent deals and even with great return policies. Do you think it would be worth my taking it for a trial run (given the fact that I loved my FZ18), or would I be disappointed? I wouldn't really say that I am disappointed with the Fuji after playing with it more today, but I have experienced what you are talking about with it needing so many minor adjustments and that might not be right for me at this time. I have also noticed that it is not as fast from shot to shot as my old FZ18 was, and that has caused me to miss some opportunities already. My thoughts are that, since I am in immediate need of a camera now, and if the FZ50 is worth a look, I could just buy an older used camera now at a smaller price and then maybe a new camera will come out next year that will really strike me. My problem is my indecisiveness at this time but the fact that I NEED one now with a vacation later this month and then the holidays coming up.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:23 AM   #5

jbmom-

The Panasonic FZ-50 is no longer manufactured and cannot be purchased new. In my opinion, it is old technology and not worth purchasing new, as so many improvements have been made since it was made.

The EXR system is not universally liked due to the many constant manual changes required to get usable photos. It is surely not a camera you can hand to a stranger and expect them to take a good photo of you and your family while on holiday.

In view of your past experience with the FZ-18, I would think that the FZ-35 is certainly worth an audition. Return it if you don't like it. It is clearly the best super zoom camera out there.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmom06 View Post
So question is, did I make a mistake? I can still return it but need to decide soon. ...
This is ONE question only you can effectively answer it. I read many people writing and bragging about cameras that others bash and vice-versa. People's needs and acceptance levels for IQ flaws, unfriendly menu systems, ergonomics, etc., vary tremendously. I've had so many different camera brands and models over the years that I seldom (if ever) get intimidated by a convoluted menu design. However, I know many people who are stuck with a particular brand simply because they feel comfortable with its menu system. So, someone like that moving to a camera brand such as Fuji or Olympus (IMO these are two brands that have the poorest menu implementation of all) will get frustrated very quickly and the goods about the camera will quickly be overshadowed by one bad thing...the menu design.

With that said, I say if the camera does not feel right and does not produce the results you expected, don't fight with it unless you absolutely want that particular camera (for whatever personal reason you have - not because others say so). Take it back while you can and research some more but now focusing almost exclusively on the areas this camera has failed to perform because obviously this is what's important to you.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:19 PM   #7

@Tullio

Actually, I would say that the Fuji's menu system was easier to learn and use than my Panasonic's...the menu was not the issue at all. I have tried all the advice and tips I can get from current Fuji users and just don't think this camera is up to par with my older one. Pretty sad, but I feel that my old Pany can outshine a lot of the newer cams on the market today, at least from what I have seen of the cameras friends and family have bought and used in the last couple of years.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:28 PM   #8

I just posted a topic on why we buy new cameras. in your case, you are being forced to upgrade but what I stated on that post was the fact that my old H1 easily outperforms many many new P&S models in terms of IQ.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:42 PM   #9

jbmom-

IMO the Panasonic FZ-35 will serve you well and perform to expectations.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:08 PM   #10

Thank you Sarah, it is at the top of my list right now. My only hesitation is that I am just not excited by any of the cameras on the market right now. I hate buying something I'm not super excited about, but since I don't have the luxury of waiting for something exciting to pop up, I will probably be ordering a 35 this week.