Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:14 PM   #11

Thanks alot for your suggestions.

Basically I am looking for a long zoom camera for my outdoor use. I travel a lot. So scenary, architectures, wild life are my primary objects. Next month I am going to visit Niagara falls.

I am not a professional photographer, but ardent fancier.

I have checked E-620 specs, but it doesn't support video shooting. As mentioned earlier, I have shortlisted,
- Panasonic FZ38
- Fuji HS10
- Sony HX1
- Nikon P100

After reading all your suggestions, I understand, in all aspects FZ38 is a very good camera and will best suit most of my needs.
But 18X zoom is one thing that is really pulling me backwards. I am not sure if I miss something if I adjust with 18X zoom.

So the alternative is HS10. But Sarah's comments suggest that it is not a very easy to use camera when compared with FZ38.

So I am still in dilemma and I'm planning to buy one in the next couple of weeks.
VARAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:16 AM   #12

i would get the FZ-35. it's a darn nice camera that takes good pics and has a good zoom range. if you're not sure you can either buy it somewhere with an easy exchange policy just in case or you can go to a camera store with your own sd card and give it a shot.

18x zoom is a lot of zoom - 27 to 486mm equivalent. anything you can't catch with it isn't going to look great on a digicam.

users aren't thrilled with the HS10, partly because image quality, partly because it's not that easy to use. i had a different fuji bridge camera, and it was the only camera i had to bring the manual along with because the menus were dense and not at all intuitive. it isn't much of an advantage to catch a far away animal that's so grainy and blurry the pic can't be fixed.

how far away are the animals you want to shoot? i did great with local wildlife and birds with a 10x.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:24 AM   #13

If you have questions about the hs10, you can ask the guys in the fuji forum. There is allot of HS10 users there. And can give you info about the ease of use of it.

If you are trying to catch the tower at Niagara the longer reach of 720mm my be useful. If that is one thing that is holding you back with the FZ35.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:40 PM   #14

I have decided to go with FZ35.

A final question, is it possible to add more wide angle or telezoom to FZ35? I heard it has 46mm filter threads for add ons. I am a novice in this area? So what add-ons will be more useful in my context? Please advise.
I can start a new thread in the Panasonic forum, if my question makes some sense?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:42 PM   #15

you can add more wide angle and telephoto with conversion lenses. They are a decent way of adding reach, with not to much lost in image quality.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:42 PM   #16

Those accessory lenses do require an adapter. They do not just screw directly on to the lens itself.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:46 PM   #17

Yeah I've checked B&H and the adaptor is available for $25 in Canada. So I think its not really going to be an expensive option.

I need some advise on the add-on conversion lenses, but for that I will open a new thread in Panasonic forum.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.