Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Default SONY HX1 or Panasonic TZ40

I am planning to buy a bridge camera within 500 USD budget. My requirements are
- Capturing Landscapes and scenary
- Mostly outdoor photography
- Often wild life photography
- should be able to produce images with vivid, sharp and crisp results
- Prefer versatile lens
- HD video

For my above needs I have shortlisted the following cameras:

1. Sony HX1
2. Panasonic FZ40
3. Nikon P100

I have almost select HX1, but FZ40/35 features are tempting me much.

Which camera from the above list will suite my needs best?
Or is there any better option? I already have a p&s, so I am not looking for one in the same category again.
VARAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:18 PM   #2

If you do not need sweep pano, I think the FZ35 is the best among the ones listed. From early samples the FZ40 IQ suffers a bit with the higher mp count over the FZ35.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you do not need sweep pano, I think the FZ35 is the best among the ones listed. From early samples the FZ40 IQ suffers a bit with the higher mp count over the FZ35.
Is Pano Sweep a really useful feature?
Sorry for this question.. I am almost like a newbie in this.

What about the image quality?

Should I look into any other models?

Thanks for your response.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:52 PM   #4

Olympus E-620 is another model one of my friends suggested. But he is also not a pro. would it be better the above for my needs?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:52 PM   #5

sweep pano is kinda fun to uses if you do not do much photo editing for pano. But a good tripod and stitch program will give better results.

The panny FZ35 and the fuji HS10 are the top megazoom bridge camera on the market currently. The Sony is older but not bad either.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:53 PM   #6

Varap-

I am sure that you are looking for the best camera your budget can buy.

In superzooms, the Panasonic FZ-35 is not only very user friendly, but also the "king of the hill" and now selling at an all time low price. The new FZ-40 and FZ-100 at high megapixel ratings have been show to have lesser image quality, to to show considerable noise just like the Nikon P-100 at ISO settings of ISO 400 and above. The Sony HX-1 is an older design super zoom camera that is due to replacement at Photokina, or in the first quarter of 2011. Personally, it is not a camera that I would consider, and I own one!

The Olympus E-600/E-620 or Pentax Kx sell right at the top of your budget and with the kit lenses only provide 3X optical zoom. It would take extra lenses to get more zoom, thus increasing the financial outlay considerably.

Naturally if you wanted to spent around $750 to $800, that would purchase a nice two lens kit, thus giving you some real zoom, but still well short of even the FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 4, 2010 at 9:55 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:13 PM   #7

Thanks a lot Sarah. I am almost with FZ-35.

But two more models got to my attention when I was searching for more details.

Any views on Olympus UZ 800 ? Not many reviews are comments are available on the web. But looks like a very good deal. The sample photos are not too bad at all.

And Olympus PL-1 has got very good reviews on all the websites. But for this, I believe it would need extra lenses again to get more zoom.

And can FUJI HS10 can be compared with FZ35 in terms of picture quality and features?

I am sure, I am not gonna use the camera in low light conditions or indoor much.

Appreciate your valuable comments.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:30 AM   #8

with the pentax, you will have close to the reach of the FZ at 450mm with the 2 kit lens 18-55 and 55-300, the FZ35 has 486mm or reach.

The epl-1 you can add the panasonic 45-200mm giving you reach out to 400mm. And with the 100-300mm comes out you can reach out to 600mm if you need even more reach.

The king of reach is the HS10, out to 720mm.

But with megazoom, you do give up a little bit of Image Quality to the m4/3 and dslr with the much larger sensor.

Also if you are using the camera's indoor and the lighting is not that great, where you need 800 and 1600iso. The m4/3 and dslr will be a better option. 400-800 iso is max for the megazoom, and at 800iso it is no where near as good as a dslr or m4/3 at 800iso.

Here are some example of the epl-1. First one at 400mm with the panasonic 45-200mm lens. The second is at 2000iso indoors.
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:02 AM   #9

varap-

The Olympus S-8000 has gotten uniformly poor user and professional reviews. Personally, I would stay away from it. The Fuji HS-10 is a very decent camera, but less user friendly than the FZ-35. I own a HS-10 and I will tell you that it takes more work to get the same image quality that you can obtain so easily from a FZ-35.

The Olympus EPL-1 is an interchangeable lens camera, and therefore will require extra lenses, which is an added expense to get the zoom you desire. The EPL-1 is a good camera, but I find it also needs the VF-2 accessory EVF viewfinder to make it really work well, that is another $250 in upfront costs and expense.

My Goodness! the FZ-35, now priced at $300 (just a bit more than the EPL-1's viewfinder!) gives you all the zoom you desire + excellent image quality. In my opinion the FZ-35 is surely the better investment/choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:05 PM   #10

VARAP,

Can you tell us what you likes to shoot. Right now the suggestion are all for static shots, very little movement. If you are into action shooting. The e620 will be the better option, and that is where a dslr truly excels with the phase detect system form all the others camera's mention including the epl-1.

The epl-1 would be the second choice for action shooting as it has a bit better contrast base AF system then the ones in a megazoom. The epl-1 is fantastic with static shots as you can see from the image quality.