Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:57 PM   #1
CCF

Default Need Help - What camera should I buy?

New in this forum, new in Camera World as well.
I want to give my wife a camera as a Birthday Present, recently - I noticed she really enjoys taking pictures of almost everything from our small compact 10MP Sony Digital Camera. She loves taking pictures of our kids, our pond and landscaping, etc.

So -what camera should I get her? I want something that is very professional, perhaps a nice zoom lense, and a wide angle. I'm a Designer so I can use this camera too to take pictures of my work - hence a wide angle should be good.

They have bundle sets at BestBuy but not knowing what I'm getting into, I thought of a forum right away.

Need help please! Thank you very much.

Oh, and budget wise? Hmm... maybe from $800 to $1,500? Again - not sure if this is enough or not being an ignorant in this field.

Thank you very much!
CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:19 PM   #2

Taking photos of small children usually requires a fast autofocus system. Canon has the fastest AF system in entry level dLSRs, so that would be a good choice. It also has the best selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories. The T1i and T2i are good choices. The stabilized 18-55 kit lens that comes with them is quite good and the Canon 55-250 IS compliments it well. That will give her a good place from which to start. But keep the receipt, and take her back to the store so she can exchange it for someting else. How a camera feels is a very personal thing, and while the Canon models are both quite nice, she might prefer the feel of one of the others.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:27 PM   #3

CCF-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

If camera size is a priority for your wife, then a DSLR camera with interchangeable lenses might not work well for her. Another factor to consider is that most small point & shoot cameras automatically do a good measure of in camera post processing. In contrast, DSLR cameras do very little post processing (sharpening the photo, correcting the exposure and the like). So the user is expected to do the post processing with an external photo editing program. Finally, DSLR cameras do not perform there best in the Automatic Mode and therefore shooting in automatic compromises image quality.

Perhaps a new camera like the Canon SX-130, or the G-11 might be a better choice. Please give it a good think.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:28 AM   #4

TCav is correct, for your needs a dslr is better for shooting children. None of the point and shoot bridge camera's will have the AF system to be able to keep up with them, especially if the lighting is not great.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5

I agree that a DSLR would be better. However, we also have to be wise and accommodate the skills and work flow of the user as well. Otherwise see will never be happy with the camera and use it to it's design level.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:21 PM   #6

The budget is well within the a good dslr with a long lens. Base on the info it seems the op is looking for a dslr solution base on the needs with a 800-1500 dollar budget. Way higher then even a leica point and shoot budget.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:43 PM   #7

The OP did not suggest size as being a priority. So, it's fair to assume his primary objective is to get a quality equipment despite the size and even though I don't believe all DSLRs are better than P&S, once your budget goes up to his level, then most likely a DSLR will be better than the top P&S.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote