Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:56 PM   #11

Or sometimes they buy a new car just because the neighbor bought one.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:04 PM   #12

It is a good experience to know the views of senior members.

In cases like me, people buy P & S cameras for learning and shift to DSLRs and high end P & S after getting fair knowledge about photography.
skmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:22 AM   #13

i buy cameras when my needs are not being met. my camera buying history:

after lots of research bought a canon a620, was pretty happy with it but wanted something with more zoom since i shoot birds, and with more controls that weren't in the menu so...

i bought a fuji s9100. the controls were fun, the zoom was great. alas, after a while i couldn't help but notice the image noise even at iso 100, and i wanted much less noise, so i realized it was time to move to a dslr.

i sold the fuji and bought a canon 30d. since the 40d was coming fairly soon, the price was reasonable. image quality was exactly what i wanted, low light performance made me a happy camper but the more i took it out, the more i noticed the weight. i'm a small woman, and over time, i found myself shooting pics less and less because of this. my enthusiasm dwindled.

then i was at fry's with my son, and he showed me the oly ep1 and the samsung ns10. the sizes were awesome, so i ran home, did a week of research and bought a panasonic gf1, which suits me very well. pics are good quality, controls are nice, kit lens is great, and i added a 45-200 to my arsenal.

i also wanted a cheap grab and go camera, so i got a kodak Z915 which performs beyond my expectations considering its price.

that's where i am at the moment. i have my gf1 and my Z915, and i can see where if i had had the extra money last month i would have preferred thepanasonic FZ35 to the kodak, but the kodak doesn't leave me frustrated, so it's good for now.

in the next 6 months or so, i plan to buy the panasonic 20mm 1.7 pancake lens and perhaps buy the FZ35, depending on how well the kodak satisfies my need for a camera that isn't too expensive, doesn't use interchangeable lenses and still takes decent pics and vids.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:06 AM   #14

Interesting sequence of events, pcake. If my ex-coworker participated in this forum, his story would be somewhat similar. he too went full cycle stating up small and building up to a Canon and then a Nikon full frame then down to a Fuji up again to the GF1 and now back to the Canon 5D. He just have the urge to play with new equipment every so often.

Tullio
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:35 AM   #15

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Why buy new stuff? Because we can. Because we want to. Because we think we need to. Something like that. Otherwise we'd all still be using Brownies and oatmeal-carton pinhole cams.

I had more than a few box cams when I was young, learned to develop and print, etc. But my first serious cam came in my mid-20's, an ancient German 1934 Kodak Retina I folder, the very first 135 camera. Learn to judge light and distance, because it has zero automation. Eventually, adjusting and using it become automatic, the camera as an extension of my eye and hand.

Ooh, but hand-held metering is a slow drag. So I upgraded to various silicon-eye P&S's, then TTL SLR's and TLR's, then AF, etc. Then an analog camcorder and a framegrabber card for the PC. Then the first digicam, a 1mpx P&S. Then various 5mpx P&S's, straight and infrared. Then a 7mpx P&S that could survive 10m underwater. Each had its own purpose.

[Film cams: variously Canon, Graflex, Kodak, Minolta, Nikon, Oly, Yashica]
[Digicams: Sony DSC-P20, -V1, -P10, -W7; Minolta F300-IR; Oly 770-SW]

Then a couple years ago I inherited enough for a better system (Thanks for dying, Mom!) and I asked myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" The answers: ultrawide, ultralong, low-light, and macro eventually. So now I have my 14.6mpx Pentax K20D and zillion lenses. I chose the K20D as it looked like the best bang-per-buck then, was bitched about much less than the competition, and I wouldn't be tempted to 'upgrade' anytime soon. I think I made the right choice.

So I'm not buying new cameras now. Maybe some old ones, but I prefer to get good cheap lenses and see how they perform. Digital cameras are good for a few years. Lenses can be good for decades, and I use some over a century old. What's in my carry bag? The K20D and a few lenses old and new; and the IR-modified Minolta F300; and a Canon ss80u 135/FF P&S; and an Ikonta 6x6 folder. That's a good start, eh? Oh yeah, the Sony DSC-V1 is always in my pocket, except when I'm showering. I just can't see any way to replace that one.

Last edited by RioRico; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:39 AM.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:02 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Some people buy new cameras because they keep making the wrong decisions along the way.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...to-george.html
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
...but I prefer to get good cheap lenses and see how they perform. ...
I used to do that as well. However, in my experience, most were pure garbage producing soft, washed out, noisy images with a lot of PF and CA. At one point I decided to add up the cost of those "bad, cheap" lenses and the total surpassed $350. For that money, I could have bought the Lumix 20mm lens, which I really wanted and which would have worked very well with my EP1.

Tullio
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:27 AM   #18

nothing is better than having a nice shiny new to.... tool yes tool would never say toy that wouldn't be proper at all
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Super Moderator

sometimes is also a nice motivating factor. we all get sick of our surroundings and sometimes feel there is little reason to go shoot them again. but, we go buy a new "toy" (borrowing Mark's term) and then we feel reinvigorated and go shoot some more, often getting some nice shots. but in the end sometimes we buy because we "need" something, be it a feature, convenience, expanded ISO, faster FPS, etc., but many times we just buy because we "want"
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
sometimes is also a nice motivating factor. we all get sick of our surroundings and sometimes feel there is little reason to go shoot them again. ...
Dustin, I could not agree more with your comment. My backyard has probably been photographed more than any other backyard on the planet. Every time I get a new piece of photographic equipment (whether a camera or a lens), out I go shooting the same statues and ornaments over and over again and then comparing the results against other cameras (or lenses). I also noticed that because I usually don't have a chance to go out to different places just to take some pictures, once I have exhausted the possibilities around the area where I live, I start looking at new cameras...not good, is it?!? But, with the price os gas at the levels we pay here in the Bay Area, driving out to new (and interesting) locations can cost me just as much on gas, so buying a new camera/les is a better deal!

Tullio