Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
..... I start looking at new cameras...not good, is it?!? But, with the price os gas at the levels we pay here in the Bay Area, driving out to new (and interesting) locations can cost me just as much on gas, so buying a new camera/les is a better deal!
we routinely spend 200-600 or more dollars for a few days of enjoyment on vacations, or add up the cost of going to the movies a few times a month, etc etc. if you spend ~500USD on a new lens/camera/etc and you really enjoy it even if its for a few months before wanting something else, worst case scenario, is that even that far off base? ~500USD for a few months real enjoyment, is it that bad?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:01 AM   #22

No, not really. But, if that was the case, we would never go on vacation. Instead we'd be buying new equipment all the time...then I'd need a bigger house!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:07 AM   #23

I bought my last fine camera, a Mamiya 7, 13 years ago. I love big prints. It was time to upgrade to dslr. Now, this new camera is so complex that i must re learn everything and that keeps my mind active. In the last year or so i got a new computer, installed and learned a lot of new software, got this camera, etc. I must think a lot these days to keep updated, which is good for my brain. That's why i buy new stuff.
Buying new toys is not the problem. The problem is telling the wife and trying to justify the unjustifiable!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:04 PM   #24

We buy new cameras because the current old faithful has dust and other junk on the sensor. To have it cleaned will cost more than it is worth. And so to save the 150$ expense, we gleefully shell out 600$, or more. Now if only I can decide on what to buy...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:19 PM   #25

Deciding what to buy...that's a problem right there! I just bought the EPL1 (replacing the EP1 I recently sold) but I also wanted to try the Fuji HS10. But, I can't have it all so being selective is a very difficult thing.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote