Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Help wanted on new camera decision

Hello

I am new to the forum and would welcome comments on the following problem:

I'm looking for a P & S camera with good quality results, a wide angle zoom and good low light ability for travel, (more cityscapes than landscapes). I am trying to decide between the Sony HX5V and the Fuji F70EXR both of which have had good comments on these pages (Sarah Joyce for example has talked about both). The Sony has stuff that I don't need like HD Movies and GPS and is quite expensive.The F70EXR has high CA but is considerably cheaper. Both get mixed reviews on other sites. I am prepared to spend time learning to use the camera ( I understand this is a requirement with the Fuji). Is there another option? I am not in the market for a dslr and this will be my only camera

thank you

Steve
Steve_H_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:10 PM   #2

Steve-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

It appears that you have already done some research on the Fuji F-70EXR. If you are at ease with the constant manual adjustments required to get the most from the camera, check our Fuji P+S folder for some additional data, and it may indeed work well for you.

But there are indeed cameras, like the Kodak Z915, that sells here in the USA for $(US)100.00, and below that do have 10X optical zoom and have good image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3

i've been surprised by my kodak Z915. i got it to have a drag around camera, and didn't expect much from it, but the pics look good, the flash isn't too harsh and the videos work in surprisingly dim light.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_H_UK View Post
Hello

I am new to the forum and would welcome comments on the following problem:

I'm looking for a P & S camera with good quality results, a wide angle zoom and good low light ability for travel, (more cityscapes than landscapes). I am trying to decide between the Sony HX5V and the Fuji F70EXR both of which have had good comments on these pages (Sarah Joyce for example has talked about both). The Sony has stuff that I don't need like HD Movies and GPS and is quite expensive.The F70EXR has high CA but is considerably cheaper. Both get mixed reviews on other sites. I am prepared to spend time learning to use the camera ( I understand this is a requirement with the Fuji). Is there another option? I am not in the market for a dslr and this will be my only camera

thank you

Steve

Steve - I would suggest picking a Canon IXUS 210 - feature wise this camera has everything - you won't regret buying one. Could cost more than the Kodak. Follow the link below and compare the features. Good luck

http://www.canon-asia.com/ixus300hs/...FcZA6wodz1DY0w
Intel Pentium Core2Duo E6750 2.33.00GHz | BIOSTAR TP35D2-A7 P35 | XPertVision GeForce 8600GTS 256MB DDR| Seagate Cheetah 37GB SCSI 10000RPM | Hitachi 320GB SATA | Seagate Tape Drive STT20000A | PATRIOT 4GB 800DDR2 | LG DVD16XReWriter | Motorola SURFboard CableModem | SAMSUNG SyncMaster | Intel PRO/1000 CT Network | CoolerMaster | Enermax | WinXP PRO
MUSTANGPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5

mustang-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

The IXUS300/SD-4000 has received a very mixed reception here in the USA. The primary complaints have been: Price, Little Zoom, and Everything is Buried in the Menus.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:31 PM   #6

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions .Sarah referred to constant manual adjustments with the F70EXR. I have seen the posts on this site from Hards80 suggesting settings. My question would be - once you have chosen your settings for particular circumstances, is it possible to save them somehow or do you lose them every time you power off or need to change to some other setting?

thank you

Steve
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:51 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Hey Steve, I've pm'd Hards80 to hopefully pop to this thread and help you out.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:16 PM   #8

Thank you Mark
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Super Moderator

(Thanks Mark for the heads-up, not enough hours in the day to see em all)

Hey Steve, I guess you have seen both of my posts on how to use this cam, and glad you have taken some interest in the F70EXR and are comparing it with some of the competition. The F70EXR can do quite well in the EXR auto, as Billy demonstrated in the official review. But where the F70EXR really shines is when you take control of the camera and micro-manage it a little bit, when done so it can really produce some stunning images. A few of my best shots this year were from that little cam.

As for your specific question. You do not lose your settings when you power down your camera.

I like to always keep setting #1 from my sticky guide on the EXR DR mode.

Then I usually keep the P mode set to setting #3, having these 2 saved on those positions on the dial will do 95% of your shooting needs quite well and you only have to click between those positions on the dial. If I know I will be doing something specific then I will set my P mode to one of the other settings ahead of the event/show/etc. But always have the EXR DR mode for when dynamic range could be an issue.

(#'s reference to this post http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...-exr-cams.html)

hope that helps. let me know if you need anything else.
-Dustin
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:07 PM   #10

Dustin thank you for the help.

I have been reading the online F70EXR manual (pdf) but I am struggling a bit.

Taking your setting #1 as an example. You have selected EXR on the dial then run through the menus picking DR, M(edium), & DR800. At this point I assume you can save all these selections somehow, so that every time you select EXR on the dial in future, you get these settings until you change them

Is this correct? If it is, it seems more straightforward than I understood from other posts I have seen

once again

thank you