Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:27 PM   #1

Default Sony A230 dslr

Primarily because I have some A-Type lenses from my old Minolta Maxuum camera, I am thinking about buying a Sony A-230 dslr. I would prefer to buy just a body only and possibly a refurbished one; so if anybody knows where I make such a purchase, I would be more than grateful. Also does anybody have any recommendations for me including bodies from other manufacturers and what I would need to do to adapt my lenses to that/ those bodies.
donmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:41 PM   #2

The A230 was never available "Body Only", and you're not likely to find one, "Body Only", on the used or refurbished market either. If you're outside the US, the least expensive Sony dSLR that's available without a lens is the A450. Inside the US, it's the A500. Both of which are very good.

But let me mention something else. Like most dSLRs, Sony's dSLRs, except for their top-of-the-line A900 and A850, use a slightly smaller image sensor than the 35mm film exposures you got with your old Minolta Maxxum camera bodies. That means that your lenses will have only 2/3 the angle of view that they did on your film bodies. So, unless you've got some superwide angle lenses, you might need that 18-55mm kit lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:49 PM   #3

Thanks, TCav. I can say that I have found refurbished a230 kits for $299 in the U.S. on ebay ("buy it now!"). They also auction them and the lowest I have seen is around $250 with free shipping. This is from a supplier that has over 100,000 sales and a 99.8 approval rating.

Thanks for the other heads-up on the use of Minolta lenses.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmarrin View Post
Thanks, TCav. I can say that I have found refurbished a230 kits for $299 in the U.S. on ebay ("buy it now!"). They also auction them and the lowest I have seen is around $250 with free shipping. This is from a supplier that has over 100,000 sales and a 99.8 approval rating.
That's good, but are they "Body Only"?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:38 PM   #5

www.walmart.com has the A-230 with the Sony 18-55 kit lens brand new at $379.00 with a full 1 year guarantee. That might be a better deal.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmarrin View Post
I presume you know that there's refurbished and then there's refurbished. There's factory refurbished, where the camera goes to a factory designated maintenance depot for refurbishing. Then there's the refurbishing that some guy did in his basement to a bunch of camera bodies he bought used or that fell off the back of a truck.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:04 PM   #7

That is exactly why a new camera with the kit lens and a 1 year Sony guarantee might be a better deal.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:43 AM   #8

TCav,
The refurbished units that I mentioned are full kits including the 18-55 lens, battery, charger, etc.

Others,
I hear what you are saying about refurbished units and thanks. I mentioned the specific ebay seller only because s/he is a very large one (not just apparently out of his/her garage) with over 100,000 sales over the last three/four years with a 99.8% approval rating. Also, sonystyle.com (Sony's official factory refurbishment center) sometimes has them for around $350.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:13 AM   #9

Warranty, does it have a full warranty???? I nearly fell into that trap with Ebay sellers. I bought a factory refurbished Nikon from Cameta Camera with a full one year warranty.
A hell of a lot of those Ebay dealers sell "grey market" imported cameras. No warranty no back up service and none of the manufacturers will touch the camera if it goes wrong!
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:56 AM   #10

Don-

That is the point I have been driving at! $379, and it is new with a full guarantee. It seems like my own peace of mind would be worth that $29.

Sarah Joyce