Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:41 PM   #1

Default Looking for COMPACT super-zoom camera with quick performance.

Hi,

I want a compact super zoom camera to take pictures of my kids.

I need a camera that gives high quality pictures but also have minimal shutter lag.

My 5 year old canon has 1/10 delay prefocused and 2/10 delay when in autofocus.

It looks like all of the newer super zoom camera's require 4/10-7/10 of a second when not prefocused - for taking pictures of kids, this is just too slow (not to mention the increase in blurred photos without a tripod).
The Canon SX210 seems to meet this requirement but gets poor reviews here for the picture quality (not to mention the strange flash design).
The Lumix DMC-ZS3/5 (haven't heard about the ZS7 yet) get good reviews for picture quality but have long shutter lag. (Seems like the canon performance and the lumix speed would be the perfect combination, but it does not seem to exist these days.)

Has the performance gotten so much worse in the past 5 years as new "cool" features are added?
The regular (larger) super zoom cameras seem to have good performance & quality, but not the compact superzooms.

Are there any high quality compact super-zoom cameras that can give me the faster performance that I am looking for, or do I need to wait a "model cycle" until better performing cameras are released?

Any insight is appreciated.
I want to buy a camera now, but I don't want to buy one that is going to cause me to miss alot of shots of my kids because of long shutter lag and I want one with high quality photos.
Am I asking for too much?

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:44 PM   #2

juggernaut-

The new Canon SX-130 is fast to focus, very sharp and provides 12X optical zoom. It is a great kid or family camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
juggernaut-

The new Canon SX-130 is fast to focus, very sharp and provides 12X optical zoom. It is a great kid or family camera.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah.

Thanks for the reply.

That sounds promising.

Will have to hunt around for reviews until Steve gets to check it out.

Thanks!
Juggernaut

p.s. Sarah, do you have this camera as I am having trouble finding anything other than press releases...

Last edited by Juggernaut; Sep 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Juggernaut-

I ordered mine from www.amazon.com, and I am expecting delivery this week. B & H, and Adorama also have the SX-130 in stock.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Juggernaut-

I ordered mine from www.amazon.com, and I am expecting delivery this week. B & H, and Adorama also have the SX-130 in stock.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah.

Where did you read about its performance and picture quality?

I could not find any reviews - just previews.

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:00 PM   #6

I found it in the previews.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:27 PM   #7

Quote:
I found it in the previews.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

How does the sx-130 compare to the compact superzooms in "Steve's favorite" section?

They all seem to get reviews that are better than the sx-130 but are those are also using older standards to judge things?

Should I consider one of those older compact superzooms or do you still believe the sx-130 is a better option than those cameras.

I guess I am looking for the perfect camera in a compact superzoom.
1) quick performance. low shutter lag, quick shot to shot performance in both indoor and outdoor. I have young kids so action shots are common.
2) high quality images
3) ideally AA batteries
4) I like the sx-130 size but don't want anything bigger - smaller is ok.

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:21 PM   #8

juggernaut-

Using your priorities (listed as 1 through 4 in your post), the following cameras: use AA batteries:

Olympus SP-590
Olympus Sp-565
Kodak Z-980
Kodak Z-915
Canon SX-10
Canon SX-110
Canon S-5

From that AA powered list, the following cameras are too big:

Olympus SP-565
Olympus SP-590
Kodak Z-980
Canon SX-10

That leaves the following cameras that are at or near your specs that are AA powered:

Kodak Z-915
Canon SX-110
Canon S-5

Kodak Z-915: This is a camera that I promote on the forum all the time. It is a good value as it sells for about $(US)100.00. However, it does have a few "glitches." It does not have a wide angle position, but has both automatic and manual controls on it 10X optical zoom, and it shoots Standard (480 X 640) video not HD video, with zooming.

Canon SX-110: This is a very good camera with 10X optical zoom, both automatic and manual controls but again, no wide angle and only Standard video, no HD video and no zooming

Canon S-5: This is one of my favorite cameras. It has 12X optical zoom, both automatic and manual controls, and a hot shoe. But again, no wide angle and only Standard video, no HD video, and no zooming while filming

I personally own all three of the last list of camera. So I have lots of hands-on experience. They are good, but they do each have a few "glitches" as I have noted. In contrast, the Canon SX-130 does indeed have a 28mm wide angle position on its 12X optical zoom and it had very good HD video that allows both focusing and zooming while filming.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:22 PM   #9

How about Canon sd4500?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:49 PM   #10

The Canon 4500 was not on Steve's Best Cameras 2009 list, as it had not been introduced yet.

The Canon SD-4500 will still get a "pass" because it does not have a wide angle position in its zoom range.

Sarah Joyce