Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
The Panasonic does fine, I have one in fact, but the Sony does just a little better. I didn't go Sony as I wanted the extra depth ability, not as I'm going that deep but just as an extra precaution, and I like Panasonic being as one of my other point and shoots was Panasonic.

The honest answer is if you want the best image quality then don't get a rugged camera, they are not as good as the normal counterparts, but if you want to get photos where you wouldn't take any other camera (mine goes with me everywhere and I have no need to worry about sand, dirt, dropping, water etc etc) so I get photos that simply couldn't be taken as I would have no camera.
Well this camera is a gift and rugged is an absolute requirement. It will be taken into the ocean swimming and stuff like that. She is also kind of clumsy so it will have its share of drops. But the one criteria that cannot be compromised is the rugged factor. Other than that I am completely open. I guess its between the sony and panasonic. I will just have to find out if she wants touch screen or not. That should decide it.
jf2oo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:18 AM   #12

For pure ruggedness the olympus is the most solid design with the 8010. You have double o-righ seals around the interface covers. The sony slide cover can trap sand and dirt, which can scratch up the lens when opening and closing.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:33 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
For pure ruggedness the olympus is the most solid design with the 8010. You have double o-righ seals around the interface covers. The sony slide cover can trap sand and dirt, which can scratch up the lens when opening and closing.
The only problem with the Oly is that they still are not putting out the image quality of some of the others mentioned.

I forgot about the slide lens cover, that could be a problem, but I'm sure Sony would have investigated how it performed.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:04 AM   #14

I saw couple of youtube video on the sony. I really like the IQ, But the sand and dirt can get trapped. It is not the best if you are going into the beach with it.

I totally agree the the sony has better iq then the olympus. But if ruggedness is the most important. The olympus is the best in that department. But IQ is not night and day better between the different camera. It may be 10% difference.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:17 AM   #15
Super Moderator

As far as I was aware the 'rugged' specs of the Panasonic and the Oly were the same, 10m depth, -10 deg C and 2m drop. None of the reviews put the Oly up with the Panasonic or Sony by quite a distance.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:21 AM   #16

I am looking at the different rugged camera for myself. If you do look at the actually build of the oly vs the sony or the panny. You notice it was really design to be handle very roughly. With the 8010 oly just made it a super tough camera.

As a scuba diver, I can tell you double o rings are the way to go. As all high level scuba cases have them.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:24 AM   #17
Super Moderator

I'm sure, but don't think the OP is going to extremes of depth and IQ is key which brings it back to Sony or Panasonic. I've had the Panasonic in the water for about 4 hours at a time (it lived in my shots pockets coming out for snaps then going back while on holiday and basically living in the sea. No problems at all.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:30 AM   #18

any camera that can take an motorcycle crash and skid for 40 feet with the owner sitting on the camera and still operate properly is a very rugged camera.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
any camera that can take an motorcycle crash and skid for 40 feet with the owner sitting on the camera and still operate properly is a very rugged camera.
Ok guys maybe I emphasized the rugged a little too much. lol Yes this camera has to be waterproof/shockproof, but I dont need bulletproof. lol Im not worried about which the toughest one is, just as long as it is rugged that is good enough.

And im guessing IQ is image quality? Sorry for the ignorance but im new to camera boards.
jf2oo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2oo6 View Post
And im guessing IQ is image quality?
Yes.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote