Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:14 PM   #1

Default Sub $200 P&S to carry on Motorcycle

I have lurked on Steves for several years, researching and reading reviews of different Cameras.

My First Digital was a Sony Dsc-F707, which I still have and takes very nice pics. I purchased a few years back a Canon A510 for use on my motorcycle trips. The problem I have with the camera is it's size a little bulky for a jacket pocket, and it is incredibly slow shot to shot. So I ran across a good deal on a SD900, I thought it was going to be such a great camera. I was surprised when I started using it the pics were not as sharp as the old A510. But the speed of the camera was very nice and it was compact. Well I crashed on a trail ride last week and the SD900 is no more, along with a few broken ribs I have read endless reviews of every brand of camera out there, and I am at a total loss as to why the image quality is so bad. They all seem very blurry to me, like the SD900 did.

Can someone recommend a good solid camera, that can take really nice clear pics without post processing them. I do not ever print my pics so it is for posting of my rides on the internet. The old A510 has been through a lot and still works as it did the day I bought it. It has bounced around in dusty, rocky environments and never misses a beat. Just wish it was slimmer and a tad faster shot to shot.

95% of my shots will be outdoors in daylight. I do take a few where ever we stop to eat sometimes. Video would be nice but not a necessity. It is fun to catch a vid of someone crossing high water on their bike.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Todd
TAPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:09 PM   #2

Todd-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The under $200 market does not have a lot of offerings. One camera that has worked well for Forum members is the Kodak Z-915, that gives you 10X optical zoom, and video. It sells for around $100.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Todd-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The under $200 market does not have a lot of offerings. One camera that has worked well for Forum members is the Kodak Z-915, that gives you 10X optical zoom, and video. It sells for around $100.

Sarah Joyce

Thank you Sarah, I cant seem to find a local store that carries the Kodaks. They look a little big for the jacket pocket, but I have not seen one in person. I have read endless reviews on it as well as the 950. I read several suggestions you have made on the SX120is as well, I would love to carry that along, but I am afraid it is a little large. Also you had mentioned the SD1200, I cant seem to find one of those locally either.

Todd
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:35 PM   #4

though the olympus tough 8010 is not as good as other point and shoot in image quality. I know someone that went down with on in his back pocket, skidded about 40ft. And the camera still worked, just scratch up. The olympus 6000 series is in you budget, and have a really rugged construction.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:49 PM   #5

I have the Olympus SW1050 which camera out just before the 6000 series I believe and it works very well for me around water, rain storms etc.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:40 PM   #6

Todd-

Here is a photo of the Kodak Z-915 that shows its size.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:24 PM   #7

shoturtle, Dave, I will take a look at those Olympus cameras.

Sarah, thanks for the pic on the size of the 915.

Thanks again for all the info

Todd
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:03 AM   #8

The 6000 series is supposed to be a tougher camera than the 1050SW which is not made anymore. Put an 8GB micro SDHC card in it and you should be good for a vacations worth of photos.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:06 PM   #9

Sorry I have not gotten back sooner, I have been testing a few cameras.

The short story is Thank you Sarah Joyce, you hit the nail right on the head with the Kodak. I love this thing and it takes awesome pics without any effort at all. I also tried the SD1300, and could not get a decent pic out of it for anything.

I wish the Kodak was a tiny bit smaller, but I will live with it and it fits my tiny A510 case like a glove. I was not able to play around with any of the Rugged cameras, like the Olympus or Panasonic. When I started looking for a new replacement camera Kodak was not even close in my mind to making anything I wanted. Wow, was I really wrong on this, if you have not played with one you owe it to yourself to give it a try. I was very disappointed in all of the Pic samples I had been looking at over the past few days from all of the much more expensive cameras. I was convinced that the old A510 better not die anytime soon if I wanted a decent quality photo without a lot of hassle. The Kodak Z915, is that camera take it out of the box and start shooting.

Here is a Funny FYI

I have 2 different 8gb SD cards, I put one in the Kodak and one in the Canon. I formatted them both fresh from my PC this morning. The Kodak did not have a problem with either one. But the one I put in the Canon would not read it. I reformatted it again on the pc, and same results. The Kodak read it fine but the Cannon would not. So I formatted it in the Kodak and the Canon read it. Not sure why that was but it worked, and then I reformatted with the Canon.

Well I just wanted to update everyone, and give special thanks to Sarah Joyce for introducing me to such a fine camera. I was able to get one locally from Staples, they are on sale at this time for $99.

Thanks again for all the help.

Todd
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:28 PM   #10

Todd-

The problem was that you formatted the memory cards on your computer. That is a no-no. Only format your cards in the camera, NEVER on a computer, please. Because the computer formats the card like it was a floppy disk and leave some "garbage" behind that older cameras, cannot deal with. Newer cameras don't have problem with that.

Sarah Joyce