Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:31 AM   #1

Default A camera for Indoor Concerts - Party and Kids

Hi.
I am new to the forum and would welcome some suggestions on one(or maybe two?) camera(s).
My current P&S is a Canon Ixus 70 which has been a good friend and we've passed +15.000pics.
I got a Sony A200 as DSLR mostly because I would try out how it worked and I could use my old Minolta lenses.
Also got a Panasonic - Lumix DMC-LZ5 not used very much because it 'eat' standard AA batteries when used and that takes away the easy bring along situations.

Since my Canon now has begun refuse start I wan't to buy a new camera to replace the Canon & Lumix.
The P&S camera will be used primary to shoot my kids in action AND indoor concerts(with stagelight/smoke and mostly within 8m from stage) and other indoor activities/party(which means I want it will have to perform good(fast) in lowlight areas(high ISO?).
Not particular interested in videos.

Might replace the Sony too in short time also, the Sony I've been thinking to replace with a Nikon D90(or similar?) within this year.

Some examples:
http://www.lundbom.st/PPe2009p/
http://www.lundbom.st/PPe2009b/
http://hem.bredband.net/russel4/St2/

Last edited by sundows; Sep 8, 2010 at 5:34 AM.
sundows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:37 AM   #2

High iso for a point and shoot will put you into the canon s90, g11, or the panasonic lx3 and lx5. They do not have great reach with 3.8x zoom at best. But these would be the best high iso camera in the point and shoot arena. They will shoot well for a point and shoot upto 1600iso.

But the d90 would be a much better camera for action and low light the the sony you have. It will shoot well at 3200 and 6400iso. And have a better AF system to keep up with action better then the sony.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:03 AM   #3

How good is your collection of Minolta AF lenses? If you've got some good glass, then you might do better with one of Sony's A5XX series dSLRs. And that would save you some money getting new lenses for a Nikon D90. And the Sony A5XX series can use ISO settings up to 12,800.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the advises shoturtle.
I've looked and compared and decided to try the S90 as a replacement.

TCav,
Lenses was the reason to go with the A200.
But I'm not sure to go on with the next step that's why I asked.
Maybe A5* will should be the next step(I'll see if I can lend one at the shop and try out for a weekend)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5
Canon ixus 70
Minolta dynax 505i
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:23 PM   #5

If you have a selection of good lenses, then sticking with Sony is a good idea. If you don't have anything that's very special or even reasonably good, then that shouldn't be a consideration. The A550, A560 and A580 are as good or better than film SLRs, so if the lenses aren't very good, then the superior performance of those camera bodies will only make the imperfections in the lenses more noticeable.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:18 PM   #6

So I've got the S90, takes nice pics so far

TCav
Atleast I think I've got some nice
Minolta AF 35-70/F3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 70-210/F4.5-5.6
Minolta AF 50 F1.4
Sony 18-70/F3.5-5.6
Sony A 50 F1.8

Again, thanks for the help.

I'll try out the S90 in lowlight conditions tomorrow.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5
Canon ixus 70
Minolta dynax 505i
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:39 PM   #7

Sundows-

Your Sony A-200 is a very capable camera and it is going to beat any of the P+S camera rather easily in low light shooting. I agree with TCav that the A-500 ($424.95 for the body only at Amazon) would be an excellent upgrade. The A-500 can easily shoot at ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 without even breathing hard. In contrast, even the S-90 will never get much above ISO 1600.

Yes, a DSLR is a physically larger camera than any of the P+S cameras. However, it will clearly offer you much better image quality and the possibility of shooting at higher ISO settings.

A good external flash will also be very useful for those birthday party and kid's photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundows View Post
Atleast I think I've got some nice
Minolta AF 35-70/F3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 70-210/F4.5-5.6
Minolta AF 50 F1.4
Sony 18-70/F3.5-5.6
Sony A 50 F1.8
There's nothing particularly bad, but there's nothing particularly good either. The primes and the 35-70 should do ok in low light, but the 70-210 and the 18-70 won't.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 23, 2010 at 9:18 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
High iso for a point and shoot will put you into the canon s90, g11, or the panasonic lx3 and lx5. They do not have great reach with 3.8x zoom at best. But these would be the best high iso camera in the point and shoot arena. They will shoot well for a point and shoot upto 1600iso.
Just to add some other entries to that list ... Canon S95, Canon G12, Samsung EX1 and Nikon P7000.