Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1

Default compact camera suggestion

Hello,

I am a FZ38 owner, for some reason i can't take it with me to everywhere, i need a compact camera for may bag or pocket, for now i searched and some friends really helped me, (thank you shoturtle), here are the list of cameras that i can afford for now. I want general-everyday usage camera with HD Movie recording feature.

Panasonic Lumix FS 30 or FS 33 (there isn't leica lenses)
Kodak Easysahre Z-950 (better low level light shots)
Fujifilm FX80 (better sensor size)

I couldn't find any other brand better than them, could you please show my the way for chosing one of them?

Last edited by imut; Sep 8, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2

imut-

It is good to hear from you. Yes, a lot of users really prefer a smaller camera that they can keep with them all the time.

Selection in this case seems to pivot around how you use your cameras. You see the F-80EXR (I am guessing that is the camera you mean when you say "FX-80.") is a good camera but, a camera that does require many small, constant, manual adjustments to get the best image quality from it. If you are used to shooting in the automatic mode, I don't thing that is going to work very well for you.

Of the three cameras that you have listed, the 10mp Kodak Z-915 which has 10X optical zoom and it twin the Kodak Z-950 which is 12mp with 10X optical zoom, and HD video which allows zooming while filming are the best of your camera group. Multiple Forum members carry one of these Kodak cameras as their "go anywhere" cameras and are very please with the image quality and performance.

The Panasonic FS series is a line that Panasonic began as an economy series. They have two faults: a very small and weak built-in flash unit and only average image quality.

Among the group the Kodak two seem to be the better choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:24 PM   #3

Quote:
It is good to hear from you.
Thank you, you too.

Quote:
The Panasonic FS series
I just noticed that they don't have leica lenses. This disappointed me.

Quote:
You see the F-80EXR (I am guessing that is the camera you mean when you say "FX-80
Yes you are right, 1.2" exr sensor takes my mind but i recently watch a video and yes you can zoom when you take hd videos but you can also hear zooming machine sound in the video.

if you want to put a camera againist z950 what would it be?

Does mono or stereo sound really has great difference in hd video recording? Actually i know what mono and stereo is but i didn't have an experience with mono sound

z950 hasn't got aperture feature right?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:42 PM   #4
Super Moderator

You may also look at the TZ10 from Panasonic since you are familiar with their products. It has AVCHDLite 720p with zoom during recording and stereo sound. There are numerous examples from this cam from users on this forum.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:46 PM   #5

Kodak Z950 is having both shutter and aperture priority ,and with out any doubt it is one the best camera which is available on 129$ .The only thing Kodak Z950 is only 35 mm other wise it is an excellent budget camera .How about Canon Sx130 and Fuji F300Exr.

Mono is the term used to describe sound that is only from one channel while stereo uses 2 or more channels to provide an experience much like being in the same room where the sound was created. Listening to a stereo sound allows you to distinguish which sound is coming from which direction which is very similar to being in the same room as the sound was created. This provides listeners with a much more natural experience compared to where the sound comes from a single direction.So in brief stereo sound is often better then Mono....

sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:38 PM   #6

Quote:
TZ10 from Panasonic since you are familiar with their products.
It is way too expensive Also i heard low light issues. On the other hand one of my friend told me about ZX3.

Quote:
Canon Sx130 and Fuji F300Exr
Local store seller told me that they have problems with fujifilm about guarantee issues. So he doesn't recommend me fuji at first hand, Canon SX130 out?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:16 PM   #7

Imut-

Can you fill in some information for us:

(1) Where do you live? In is very unusual not to have good Canon service almost anywhere in the world.

(2) As long as you do not mind making small, constant, manual adjustments to a camera so that you get the best photo, the F80EXR may be a good choice for you. However, the F70EXR gets better reviews.

(3) You mention that the TZ-10 is much more expensive than you want to pay. Did you know that the Kodak Z-950 (which does have full aperture control, just like your FZ-38) costs 1/2 the price of the F-80EXR, and has 10X optical zoom, HD video, and better image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:24 PM   #8

Quote:
(1) In is very unusual not to have good Canon service almost anywhere in the world.
i didn't mean it for canon, it is an issue with fujifilm

Quote:
(2) As long as you do not mind making small, constant, manual adjustments to a camera so that you get the best photo, the F80EXR may be a good choice for you. However, the F70EXR gets better reviews.
I heard that F70 has better image quality but there is not hd recording in it. And F80 hd recording is buggy with zooming sound. It is irritating.

Quote:
Kodak Z-950 (which does have full aperture control, just like your FZ-38) costs 1/2 the price of the F-80EXR
In here, they have same amount of money, i think taxing issues.

How about X-950 HD video recording quality? Could you compare it with FX38? What would your comments? Is there any zooming sounds or it doesnt zoom while recording?

Sandeepsaman talked about "Z950 is only 35 mm", how does it effect my photograph journey?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:55 PM   #9

Imut-

Yes, cameras appear to be very expensive in Turkey.

Rating the HD video of the FZ-35/38 on a scale of 1 through 10, I would give it a score of 8. Rating the Kodak Z-950 on the same scale, I would give it a score of 6.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
I just noticed that they don't have leica lenses. This disappointed me.
I have an old Panasonic LZ2, which does not have a Leica lens. However, its lens is superb and IQ is excellent. Of course the camera is quite a few years old and it has many limitations when compared to a current model but IQ is not one of them. I also have a 5-year old Sony H1 (12x), which up to this day is one of my all time favorite P&S. It came with a Sony lens rather than Carl Zeiss. The IQ produced by that lens is absolutely stunning! So, don't let the brand name prevent you from choosing a piece of equipment. Panasonic has some models that incorporate a Leica lens and yet, IQ is not good at all.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote