Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:10 PM   #11

If you find yourself shooting low light, and form what I can tell you are willing accept the larger size of a dslr. The K-x is the best camera listed. And offers the most growth. And still will shoot great 5 years down the road. And the lens changing ability will let the camera be more taylor to certain shooting if you find yourself getting deeper into a certain type of photography.

Also with your daughters action shots and night football. None of the point and shoots will be able to keep up in the Autofocus department. You will end up missing more shots. The Pentax's AF if way superior. And would do a much better job in that department. So you can add specialized lens for these activities later.

And no matter how much more iso they pump into the into any point and shoot 800iso for the smaller sensor, and 1600iso for the larger sensor. Also 800iso or 1600iso of a point and shoot photos may be consider good, but compare them to the aps-c and 4/3 sensor photos. And most of those shots would be rejects. With the night football under the light you will need to shot at 3200 or 6400iso with the kit lenses.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:57 AM   #12

Thanks again. I did go ahead and order the Kx from B&H for $628 w/ the 18-55 and 50-300 lenses kit. I have more questions coming, but I'll play around with the camera first!
mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:30 AM   #13

Congratulations, mgvh-

The Pentax Kx is an excellent choice and I am sure you will enjoy the new camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvh View Post
Thanks again. I did go ahead and order the Kx from B&H for $628 w/ the 18-55 and 50-300 lenses kit. I have more questions coming, but I'll play around with the camera first!
A couple of months ago this kit was going for $800 and some people doubted me when I said I had seen it for $628 on Amazon. They suggested that I was mistaken and that what I saw was really the kit with the (cheaper) 55-200mm instead. So, this proves I was not mistaken at all. Great buy!!!!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:40 PM   #15

K-r is coming out, that is another reason it is discounted again And photokina is in 2 weeks. So new stuff is coming.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:20 PM   #16

Since you all were so helpful, I thought I would provide an update...
I have had a little time to practice, but my first really opportunity was this weekend.

I brought my new Kx to my daughter's soccer game to try out the 50-300 lens. It was a beautiful day, and I got incredible pictures that are so much superior to anything I was able to get with my Canon A710IS. The fast burst worked wonderfully. Focusing was fast (for the most part... I am using single point center focus.) I used the sports mode and let the camera do the work. I probably should have turned down the EV a notch or two, but all in all I am incredibly pleased.

Here's a fast burst sequence of 3 shots, the last of which is attached at 20% size.
If you want to check full size of the images (~5Mb each) they are:
http://www*****ollandscreen.com/images/IMGP0271.JPG
http://www*****ollandscreen.com/images/IMGP0272.JPG
http://www*****ollandscreen.com/images/IMGP0273.JPG

I was shooting these from a distance of about 35 yards away. I was using a monopod to help steady things. The first is a bit OOF, but the last one is so sharp... I am really pleased and excited!

Still trying to work out the best parameters for shooting with the 18-55mm. I did a sequence of shots modifying ISO or f-stop or zoom. It seems rather soft at 18mm but improves after that. Does anyone know of a simple (and free) program to compare 2 pics on screen that shows the EXIF info?

Thanks again for the encouragement and advice!
Attached Images

mgvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:24 PM   #17

congrats on the camera, yeah the link photos looks very sharp compare to the attached one. Glad you are enjoying the results you are getting with the k-x.