Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which Camera??
Sony Cyber'shot DSC-HX5V 1 25.00%
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 (ZS7) 2 50.00%
Other (please specify... thanks!) :-) 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:27 AM   #1

Default Sony HX5V or Panasonic TZ10 - new camera choice?

I am looking to purchase a new compact point & shoot camera for going away on my honeymoon later this month. I am really torn as to what camera to purchase though... my last purchase was a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W100 about 5 years ago.

The technology in cameras has obviously changed (hopefully for the better) since then and I am interested in the compact travel zoom cameras.

Before I continue, my budget is around $500 AUD and my main features in order of preference that the camera must have are:

- Image quality & colour balance
- Low light and dusk/night shots (will be in Fiji to capture sunsets and pictures of the resorts at night, also Christmas lights at home!)
- Image stabilisation (I tend to get a bit shaky at times taking a photo...)
- Video mode with good sound (for recording any live concerts?)
- Decent zoom function which retains detail in photo @ night...

I have been browsing camera review sites, forums and video reviews and I am none the wiser. So far the TZ10 seems out in front but have recently read some bad reviews about their image quality and the huge contrast in colours.

So here I am... asking and hoping some more experienced people here are able to give me their opinion. I realise that I will not get the 'perfect' camera... I am a casual photographer who just wants to capture the moments when I see them.

I will also be using the camera for some sport or action shots, and to also take photos of landscapes, cityscapes, sunsets, christmas lights, pets, family etc.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to vote in the poll. In some ways I am also drawn back to the HX5V as I already have a memory stick pro duo and three spare NP-BG1 batteries from the DSC-W100 I currently own (which is on it's last legs...)

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)
sticks1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:08 AM   #2

Shaun S95 is probably as close as you will get...we own the S90 and it does well for these types of situations and the image IQ and Color is awesome on this little camera...I don't know about video as i haven't shot any, but the S95 does do HD Vid and I think they improved it with zoom while recording video...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:03 PM   #3

If you are concerned about both indoor and outdoor image quality and HD video, the ZS7 falls off your list as it has a very small and weak built-in flash unit, that kills the indoor image quality.

The Sony HX5 has poor sound on the video and as the ISO setting is increase, image color begin to fade, loosing its color saturation. To me at least that makes the HX5 a dubious choice.

My suggestion: the Canon SX-130 that has 12X (28mm to 336mm) optical zoom, a great built-in flash, full manual and automatic controls, and HD video. Yes, it is slightly larger in size, but it ticks all the boxes, producing very good indoor and outdoor image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Yes, it is slightly larger in size,
Could you compare it with z-950? Which one is more portable?
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:04 PM   #5

imut-

I know you are in Turkey. However if you are familiar with US currency, this photo shows the size quite nicely:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...8_K7YuX-X3.jpg

The SX130 is taller than the Z-950, but side to side about the same size. I would suggest that they are equally portable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:40 AM   #6

thanks everyone for your replies so far - I have been reading up extensively on both cameras and their features.

I went into another camera store today and the salesman suggested that I go for the HX5V as it takes wonderful photos in low-light. The camera seemed a bit too 'plastic' like for me and I much prefered the build and handling of the TZ10.

In regards to indoor image quality, most of my indoor photos would be taken during the day - the idea of a slave flash interests me if it turns out that photos look better indoors. Is this one of the only major concerns that people have with this p&s?

Does the TZ10 still take reasonable photos at night? I am guessing since there is some manual control I would be able to get some great night shots as long as I setup on a tripod?

Thanks everyone for your recommendations so far - the Canon SX130 does look appealing and I may consider it, either way I will be making a purchase in the next few days...
sticks1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Does the TZ10 still take reasonable photos at night? I am guessing since there is some manual control I would be able to get some great night shots as long as I setup on a tripod?
Some pros around here who have maniac lenses and maniac DSLR cameras has TZ10 for compact choice and i never heard them suggest hx5v over tz10. I also read hx5v has bad video recording. And if you think it made by plastic you shouldn'T buy it. TZ10 gives you full manuel control. At the end they are all compact cameras and there wouldn't be perfect results for night or low light. There would be noise and blur at 100% size of an image which taken with these cameras. Even DSLR cameras has this issues, so shouldn'T think so much about low light for these cameras. If you really consider a machine for low light i higly suggest you Canon S95. But it either wouldn't give you the perfect results for low light shots because it is compact. For sx130, it is slightly bigger than others it's width is 46 mm and this camera is big for a compact but it is reasonably porpatble like others and at the end it is Canon and gives you full manuel control.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:48 PM   #8

TZ10/ZS7 Samples...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica/174455-zs7-no-flash-indoors-rocky-mtn-dino-museum.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica/174394-zs7-cheyenne-mountain-zoo-colorado.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica/174340-zs7-colorado-trip.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote