Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:44 AM   #1

Default Zeroing on Z950

Hi!

New to this forum and new to photography at 50+.

I'm planning to do landscape photography along with hdri & 360 degree vr. As I'm a newbie and don't really know for how long would I stick to it, I am looking for a good point & shoot camera.

For hdri, I am looking for the auto-bracketing feature, for vr a reasonably wide lense and, of course, for the best and the cheapest camera I can get.

I have searched a lot, gone through so many reviews, seen so many sample photographs and compared prices for so many cameras. I have also gone through mostly all Z950 related posts in this forum. I have found you guys are very cooperative and supportive.

I stopped at Steve's Review on Z950.

I have not read such a nice and detailed review anywhere else. Nowhere have I seen so many sample pics as well as video attached to a review.

I was little confused about whether I should go for Z950 or Z915. The two advantages of (a) HD movie and (b) 2 more mp over 915 are forcing me to select 950.

Am I taking a right decision?

TIA & regards...
Subhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:08 PM   #2

subhs-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

While I am the poster that mentions the Kodak Z-915 and Z-950 cameras the most and posts the most sample photos, I would NOT suggest those cameras for your project as they do not have wide angle position on their zooms.

If your 360 approach negates the need for wide angle, then these two cameras will come back into play. However, I just want to be sure that you are not looking for a wide angle.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:23 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah, for your reply. (I was quite sure that you would post! )

Well, I'm not planning for 360 x 180 panorama. 360x120 would do in the beginning. I'm not looking for wide angle lens because I do not want to invest much initially. I'm ready to take the pain of stitching more number of pics.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:07 PM   #4

subhs-

If all these photos will be outdoors and there is no need for video, then the panasonic ZS1 or ZS5 with their 25mm wide angle would work for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:41 PM   #5

Hi again!

ZS1 & ZS5 both are not available in India, as of now. My panoramas would be both outdoors and indoors. HDRs would be mostly outdoors.

Video is not important, but am ready to spend a little bit more for the sake of HD video. Else, I would have preferred Z915 instead.

However, Z950 / Z915 is about $200 / $175 respectively.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:52 PM   #6

Between the z915 and the z950, I would choose the z950 for neither the extra resolution nor the HD video, but rather the 3" LCD.

Both have outstanding feature sets and capabilities for the price if 35mm (full frame equivalent) is wide enough for your needs, and it doesn't need to fit in the front pocket of a tight pair of jeans.

I haven't seen anybody suggest that either is better IQ-wise, but both are said to be very good.

...and you just can't beat the price.

--Ron
3puttpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:43 PM   #7

subhs-

Ron has provided the real answer. Get the Kodak Z-950 if you want HD video.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:07 AM   #8

Just wondering (and please excuse me for lack of my knowledge), can any wide angle lens with adapter be fitted with Z915/950? Is it advisable? If yes, can you please refer to some brand and specifications?

TIA
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:34 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
subhs-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

While I am the poster that mentions the Kodak Z-915 and Z-950 cameras the most and posts the most sample photos, I would NOT suggest those cameras for your project as they do not have wide angle position on their zooms.

If your 360 approach negates the need for wide angle, then these two cameras will come back into play. However, I just want to be sure that you are not looking for a wide angle.

Sarah Joyce
I think all bar one 360 degree approach I've seen need more than one photo so really wide or just normal are fine.

Subhs,

If you are doing panorama properly then I would not go too wide angle as you will add lens distortion, The best way is to find a nice happy setting for focal length that gives minimal distortion then with a tripod carefully take all the shots you need. Also the resolution isn't an issue as I wouldn't even worry about shooting at the highest setting due to stitching lots of photos together you will get a massive file with great quality. Also using the tripod takes away the need for high shutter speeds or high ISO performance as you can take the photo well even if it is a 1/2s exposure (or slower). The important things are to be able to set everything manually, that includes shutter speed, aperture, ISO and white balance, if you don't you will get visible lines where the shots change.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:21 AM   #10

Very true, Mark, Thanks.