Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:26 AM   #1

Default Need some camera suggestions -novice

Hi. My mother has a birthday coming up, and there is talk amongst my relatives of getting her a camera (she's wanted one for a while, and my sister is several months pregnant, so it's an ideal time). Anyhow, my mother wants a point-and-shoot. She's a total novice; she has very little experience with or knowledge of photography. With that in mind, the camera needs to:

1) take great looking pictures, with a minimum of settings-tweaking
2) be easy to use
3) be able to snap off photos relatively quickly

A camera that has an abundance of features to please enthusiasts is not necessary; it's unlikely that she'd ever make use of such features, and they'd likely just irritate her. Money is not really an issue, as numerous relatives are on board for chipping in on this thing.
MattintheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:22 AM   #2

Maybe this is a good choice for your mother.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:49 AM   #3

I am sorry, Imut, but the ZR-3 would definitely NOT be a good camera in this case-

The Panasonic Z-series are equipped with a very small, and weak built-in flash unit that will result in poor indoor image quality. As a professional digital camera instructor who volunteers to work with a group of 15 senior (older folks) citizen. So I do have some hands-on experience in working with peole like your Mom.

My suggestions are:

Kodak Z-915
Canon A-480
Canon A-495

Of my group of 15 senior citizens, 9 of them use and are very happy with the Z-915.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I am sorry, Imut, but the ZR-3 would definitely NOT be a good camera in this case-

The Panasonic Z-series are equipped with a very small, and weak built-in flash unit that will result in poor indoor image quality. As a professional digital camera instructor who volunteers to work with a group of 15 senior (older folks) citizen. So I do have some hands-on experience in working with peole like your Mom.

My suggestions are:

Kodak Z-915
Canon A-480
Canon A-495

Of my group of 15 senior citizens, 9 of them use and are very happy with the Z-915.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the suggestions -this is just the sort of thing I was looking for. I looked up the Kodak, and I like a lot of what I read, but isn't it kind of biggish? I think she wanted something she could easily put in her purse, and I'm not sure if that would be too big or not. I'm also kind of surprised that these cameras don't come with rechargeable lithiums. It seems a lot of people like buying alkalines all the time, which utterly mystifies me.
MattintheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:53 AM   #5

On the topic of the batteries, just because Kodak lists AA alkalines does not mean that AA rechargeable lithiums can not be used. The lowest common item is usually listed. You can also use disposable Lithiums (I get at least 700 images per set). So you need not be limited.
I have found that size is also a great variable here. Something that is small for purses, can be too small and difficult to use. On the other hand you do not want something that is so large and heavy, that it is left home and not used. There is a trade off here. Maybe finding a store and handling it would be a good next step.....

just a thought....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote