Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:41 AM   #1

Default decent wide-angle cameras

Hey Steve's Digicams forum, I have been looking around for information on p&s, 4/3, or micro 4/3 cameras for the last few weeks and have not found the necessary information yet. (so i thought I would check for some expertise here)

I have shot with a k100d with a 12-24mm lens for a while, and it has served me well, I am looking for a more compact solution that can take similar shots.
I have been looking at the
sony nex3
lumix dmc lx3
olympus ep1

However none of these have an available 12 or even 14 mm lens, so I am not sure I would be able to take the shots I need with them. Any thoughts? (a P&S would be alright if it had the necessary wide angle lens, I do not care about zoom. Otherwise, I am thinking that interchangeable lenses will be necessary, and fisheye is not desired either) thanks everyone!
gencollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:15 AM   #2

I understand what you are trying to do, however you are mixing apples and oranges to some extent. Of the 3 cameras, the Panasonic is a fixed lens point and shoot, while the Sony and Olympus offer removable lenses. There is a rather large difference in sensor size that affects the field of view along with the image quality in low light (high iso venues).

For the 4:3 and m4:3 cameras there are wide angle lenses available in the 12-14mm (35mm Field of View equivalent).
Even after applying the 4:3's 2x crop factor. There certainly is not a lot, but there is one.

To equal the view of your 12-24 on a 4:3 you would need a 9-18mm, so the Olympus 7-14 f4 would cover a large part (the upper half) of the range you currently have. It would satisify your 14mm (35mm basis) need.

I have the DA 12-24 and use it on both my K100 and K20. I also have the LX3, and obviously it is not as wide. The main difference I see is the noise in ambient low light images. Otherwise the LX3 is an excellent little camera, much smaller than the dSLRs.

Wide angle is difficult on small sensor cameras because the crop factor works against you, in the same way that it works for telephoto lenses - the smaller sensor, automatically narrows the available field of view.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:44 AM   #3

thanks for the info! the 4:3 website is pretty awesome. these charts:
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lens_chart.html
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourth...ens_chart.html

show that Olympus and sigma make suitable products in the 4:3 category,
and Panasonic and Olympus make suitable products in the micro4:3 category.

it looks like I can get an EP1, and a Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm and that should satisfy the range I need, except that on dpreview, they say the 9mm zoom is equal to 18mm in 35mm format. Is this the product of the smaller sensor?
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...-18_4-5p6_o20/
gencollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Even after applying the 4:3's 2x crop factor. There certainly is not a lot, but there is one.
Yes

The difference in size between a full frame 35mm sensor and the 4:3 sensor results in a crop factor of 2. So in terms of lenses, a 9mm lens has the same focal length regardless of the sensor it projects its image on. However, with the smaller sensor, it only records the smaller area that it supports, thus it appears to have a smaller field of view.

In order to see what the equivalent field of view is, you apply the crop factor. So using a 9mm lens on a 4:3 sized sensor, it would have the same field of view on a full frame 35mm sensor of a 18mm lens (9mm x 2 = 18mm).

In order to equal your field of view of your DA 12-24 you would need:
12mm * 1.5 (Pentax crop factor) = 18mm (35mm equiv) / 2 (4:3 crop factor) = 9mm

24mm * 1.5 (Pentax crop factor) = 36mm (35mm equiv) / 2 (4:3 crop factor) = 18mm
So a 9-18mm would be the equivalent 4:3 lens to match the Pentax DA 12-24

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote