Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I have nothing to add. I just wanted to thank you for doing enough research to know that you won't get good low light capabilities with a tiny little sensor. Enough people ask this ridiculous question and are so insistent that the camera they want must exist that I stopped posting here.
Well I will admit that a few months ago I did not know anything about sensor sizes and how that would affect a camera's performance in low light situations, so I don't know that I would go so far as classify it as a ridiculous question. I just don't think that most point and shoot users are aware of the technical differences in P&S's and DSLR, and specifically the differences in specifications that make DSLR's such good performers in difficult lighting situations. Instead, one would just try to diagnose the problem, ie poor quality indoor pictures, and then try and find a camera that would solve that problem.

This is exactly where I started out several months ago and to be honest, would have never thought that I was asking a ridiculous question. I am, however, extremely thankful for friendly forums, such as this one, where I was able to come and find the information I needed - both by reading previous posts and asking my own questions. It has been an extremely valuable tool for me.
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:56 PM   #22

hey hobbit...I would definitely look at hte LX5 as it is performing very well at high iso even up to ISO 3200...albeit limited with a 3.8X Zoom...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=36291799
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
hey hobbit...I would definitely look at hte LX5 as it is performing very well at high iso even up to ISO 3200...albeit limited with a 3.8X Zoom...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=36291799
Those do look pretty good that high of an iso. I will add it to my sister's list to consider. I think she's gotten a little sidetracked oogling the Panasonic folder,

As a side-note, some of you in this thread know that I had planned on purchasing a DSLR... well, I'm rather disappointed. We had a power surge in our house today and it shorted out some electrical outlets. Bottom line, we had to shell out $3500 for an electrician. So no new camera for me anytime soon But hey, at least we didn't have an electrical fire and none of our electrical appliances were damaged as well. And I am now filled with loads of information on choosing the right DSLR and lenses so maybe next year or so...

I'm definitely bummed, but at least I still have my H5, it has served me very well. And if my sister orders FZ40, I might just have to try it out

Again, thanks for all the help to everyone who's given me advice!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:44 PM   #24

Sorry to hear about the problem with the electrical short. Well when you are ready, there will be new models out and with all the info you have picked up, you will develop a short list of cameras you will be considering quickly. And post question if you have any questions.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleehobbit View Post
Those do look pretty good that high of an iso. I will add it to my sister's list to consider. I think she's gotten a little sidetracked oogling the Panasonic folder,

As a side-note, some of you in this thread know that I had planned on purchasing a DSLR... well, I'm rather disappointed. We had a power surge in our house today and it shorted out some electrical outlets. Bottom line, we had to shell out $3500 for an electrician. So no new camera for me anytime soon But hey, at least we didn't have an electrical fire and none of our electrical appliances were damaged as well. And I am now filled with loads of information on choosing the right DSLR and lenses so maybe next year or so...

I'm definitely bummed, but at least I still have my H5, it has served me very well. And if my sister orders FZ40, I might just have to try it out

Again, thanks for all the help to everyone who's given me advice!
tell her to ooggle the FZ40 shots we took today...lol...it is a very nice camera...I am impressed and really like it...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:33 AM   #26

Diana-

I am really sorry to hear of your household electrical problems. The wait might allow time for a class or two. I start teaching again next week.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Diana-

I am really sorry to hear of your household electrical problems. The wait might allow time for a class or two. I start teaching again next week.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you, Sarah. I would love to take a class. I'm already going full time though and they are all math classes, I'm not sure I could handle another class. That and all the beginning photography classes at my community college seem to start with film (nothing against film but I don't see myself in a darkroom...).

I think I may have to just look for some online tutorials or something.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:35 PM   #28

Diana-

That is certainly understandable. You have forged ahead, and I was just thinking about keeping the forward momentum going.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Diana-

That is certainly understandable. You have forged ahead, and I was just thinking about keeping the forward momentum going.

Sarah Joyce
Good point, I will look into the spring schedule. Our fall classes started in mid-late August.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:47 PM   #30

youtube and www.dslrtips.com are pretty good online workshops for photography.