Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:03 AM   #41

Diana-

I guess the key question is this: did you enjoy testing the Panasonic FZ-100? When does YOUR new camera arrive?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:38 PM   #42

Hi Sarah,

Well, yes and no. There are things I like and dont like about it. It is a fun camera to play with and its a little easier to make manual adjustments on it compared to my H5 but (and this is probably due to my inexperience) I dont see a vast improvement in IQ over my H5, at least not $400 worth. I was initially concerned that my difficulties with the Fz100 were such that trying a dslr would be worse and started to have second thoughts.

My new camera is on hold because of the electrical repairs.
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:28 PM   #43

Diana-

I sold my Panasonic FZ-35 prior to the new models being announced. Since then I have just be reading carefully to see how the new models work out. Thus far, the results have been very mixed, at best.

I did go ahead and purchase the Sony A-500 and I am really pleased with that camera. The in body IS was a priority factor for me. I just purchased the body ($424.95) as I already owned the needed lenses, and the external flash.

I know you and your family lead a very busy life, and that spare time comes at a premium.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 4:48 PM   #44

Sarah,

The a-500 was my initial choice. Then lens discussion started and sports got thrown into the mix and I was/am tempted by Canon.

However, (and forgive me for rambling since this is probably off topic), my experience testing out the FZ100 has brought up some things that I need to consider before I purchase a new camera for myself.

I am worried about the weight of a DSLR with the zoom lenses. The kit lens, such as in the 18-55 range does not concern me. What does, is the 55-250 range. After walking around for a few hours with the FZ-100 (mind you I took 800 pictures in that time), I was extremely sore from holding the camera up and taking pictures. I was actually quite grateful for the articulating screen that allowed me to hold the camera at my waist and grab a few shots that way (BTW, the FZ100 LCD does GREAT in BRIGHT sunshine.. I'm talking about 1PM, no clouds, 80 degree California weather with the screen at a 90 degree angle from the camera). Additionally, I didn't carry a camera bag or even a purse (just my wallet, keys, and cellphone tucked into my pockets.

But this makes me think that for outings, I seriously doubt I'll want to carry around any of the zoom lenses.

So now I have to evaluate a few things, like, do I really want to shoot sports/zoo/other outings with a DSLR and longer, heavier lenses? Or quite possibly, will I be able to shoot sports/etc with longer lenses (I was looking at, I think, something around the 85mm and something with 200-300mm range). I have a herniated disc in my lower back, so sometimes my desire to do something is negated by my ability.

So if I answer no to those questions, I'm left with my lowlight/indoor/portrait needs. The more I experiment, the more I want to be able to do low light photography. Night scenes outdoors, twilight-ish/sunset time, Christmas lights, etc.

I feel almost like I'm at square one again, well, not quite. More than likely, I will watch prices on Amazon. When I see a good deal on a body and a kit lens, I may grab it and test it out. I know that Canon is the better system for sports, but I've have loved my Sony cameras, and am drawn to other features like the in body IS, the tiltable LCD screen, and the faster Live-view. Maybe I will just have to try them both out for a week or so lol.

Thanks for all your help thus far Sarah!

Diana
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:08 PM   #45

Diana-

Well my experience with the A-500 body ($424.95) has been wonderful. I purchased the needed lenses: the Sony 18-55mm ($62) and the Sony 55-200mm ($88) and the external flash: the Sony HVL-42AM ($109) on E-bay. They all work perfectly and very well.

However, I still wanted to reduce the weight of my kit, especially when traveling and on heavy shooting days. So I splurged and purchased a Used Tamron 18-250mm lens ($261) and I have begun to test that lens to determine how much compromise in terms of image quality it represents.

The 18-250mm jives very well with my desire to reduce both the size and weight of what I have to carry as well as my intolerance with changing lenses in less that optimum conditions. If its image quality "hit" in image quality is too large. I can re-sell the Tamron 18-250mm lens.

Here is a photo that I took today with the A-500 indoors in our great room without flash of my husband, Bradley with the Tamron 18-250mm lens. This photo was taken at ISO 1600.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...9_Hr9r6-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:04 PM   #46

That looks pretty good to me. I think that whichever body I decide on, I'll buy just the 1 lens kit, unless I find a great deal on amazon for a 2 lens kit, to just get a feel for it and see if the size is going to work for me. Well, that and if I can work the thing, lol.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:52 PM   #47

diana-

I honestly think that you need not worry about getting good photos from a DSLR camera. Your recent testing of your sister's FZ-100 proves that not only are you talented, but you are willing to stick with something until you have master it.

I admired the variety of photos you posted from the FZ-100. I am in a somewhat different situation, as a full time wife and care giver to a handicapped husband. I am unable to get out to photograph as much as I used to do.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:25 PM   #48

Sarah,

Thanks for your response. With your experience, that is quite reassuring.

I understand being busy and not having time for photographing. Sometimes I am not able to either. I've been forcing myself to make some time because I really enjoy it.

Diana
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:23 PM   #49

Not to worry, Diana-

You will do just fine. You really enjoy photography and you have a good photographic eye.

Here is a shot done this afternoon with a Pentax Km which I purchased used for $199.00 with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens. Again this was taken indoors without flash, using a ProMaster 80-210mm lens. ISO 100, F 5.6, 1/60th

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pe...2_i3w6g-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:48 PM   #50

If it wasn't for my desire for the lowlight shots, I'd be content with a megazoom. But I am quite convinced I want a DSLR. Thanks for sharing another great shot!

Diana