Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:06 PM   #1

Default g11, s90, or lx3 - my niece needs a camera for low-light

You all were so helpful with helping me choose my dslr, I thought I'd see if you could help my niece.

She just found out yesterday that she was selected to be a Co Dance Apprentice (which is apparently a big thing in the dance competition circuit). She's 18 and will get to travel the US helping dance choreographers (apparently one of them appears on the show So You Think You Can Dance).

Anyway, she doesn't have her own camera and will be taking lots of indoor photos where she can't use the flash. I know, I know. From my recent experience on the boards, she needs a DSLR. But that just isn't going to be an option for her.

I did a little reading and it appears that Canons G11 or S90, or Panasonics Lx3 seem to be good low-light performers in the P&S realm and within her mother's ~400 budget.

I know it's a tall order, but any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Diana
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I think most 18 year old girls would prefer something smaller than the G11 or the newer Nikon p7000. That leaves the LX3 and the S90. The LX3 is a good cam, but the zoom is quite limited, which may be a hinderance for her if she is trying to shoot the stage from a distance, it also has a lens cap which is bulkier and can be lost. The S90 seems to be the right choice, gives good low light performance (for a compact), is small and discreet, can be placed in a small purse, etc. and no lens cap to lose.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:11 PM   #3

Diana-

A point and shoot camera that can shoot in existing light is pretty much a contradiction.I would look for a used Pentax Kx and a crash course in photography so she can handle it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Diana-

A point and shoot camera that can shoot in existing light is pretty much a contradiction.I would look for a used Pentax Kx and a crash course in photography so she can handle it.

Sarah Joyce
It's a good idea. I will suggest it. I just seriously doubt she will go for a dslr.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:56 PM   #5

Yes purpleehobbit, you are correct that a dslr would be the better option. But if your niece is not that into photography, and do not think she wants something that requires her a bit of a learning curve. I would seriously look at the lx3, s90 and the new lx5. They will be easier to carry then the larger bridge camera like the p7000 and g11.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:16 PM   #6

PS also look at the s95 form canon also, it is the s90 replacement.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:35 PM   #7

Diana-

You can also approach it from the opposite end: get a Kodak Z-915 for around $100. It can easily do ISO 800 and ISO 1600 in a pinch, and let her snap away. Then no crash course in photography is required. Perhaps in thinking about it more, that makes better sense.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:23 PM   #8

I forgot about the Z-915 - All this talk of upgrading cameras made my husband want to replace his Coolpix for something compact with better zoom and IQ. He was thinking about the z-915. I will mention that one, along with the S90, for my sister to think about. She's getting this as a congratulations gift.

Thank you!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:30 PM   #9

The kodak just will not perform as well as the cameras you listed or the updated models to those camera when you need to shoot at 800 and 1600iso. Since I presume you are looking for a really nice grad present any of the camera you listed would be a really nice present and meet the needs you stated in you opening post.

Boy you must be getting information overload between you husband's thread, this thread and your own treads.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The kodak just will not perform as well as the cameras you listed or the updated models to those camera when you need to shoot at 800 and 1600iso. Since I presume you are looking for a really nice grad present any of the camera you listed would be a really nice present and meet the needs you stated in you opening post.

Boy you must be getting information overload between you husband's thread, this thread and your own treads.

A little bit of information overload, but really my own fault because I keep reading it, lol. I *think* I have it all straight in my head. But yes, my sister is buying a new camera for my niece. Up till now they've shared her sony cybershot (till recently when my autistic nephew threw it in the pool). She's also looking for a replacement for that one. Though, she's leaning towards the FZ35 (she was always borrowing my mother's Kodak superzoom).

Phew. That's a lot of cameras.