Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:12 PM   #1

Default Kodak Z-915 or Panasonic FH-20?

I wrote a thread back in April I think about how I need to replace my canon powershot a560. We ended up waiting but the camera has about had it and I would really like to start taking pictures of my daughter again. Our budget is right around $200 but the lower the better. I mostly use it to take pictures of my daughter outside, although I do occasionally take indoor pictures I have learned to take outdoor pictures if I want them to look halfway decent. I try to take some portrait style pictures of her in addition to snapshots, I almost always use auto mode and while I do want to learn what all the special settings on my camera are for so far I have not. Right now I am considering the Kodak Z-915 which is appealing because of its price ($99 on amazon, plus I have $10 of giftcards). We could also maybe swing the FH-20 which is on sale at amazon for $149 right now. Is the FH-20 a better camera? Is it $50 worth of better? I am really leaning towards the kodak just because of the price. As long as the camera is an upgrade to my current camera I will be very happy with it. I want it to be able to take fairly quick snapshots (typical kid picture taking stuff) and fairly decent outdoor portraits (I consider some of the pictures I have taken with my current camera fairly decent outdoor portraits). I really appreciate anyone taking the time to give me some feedback on this, my plan was originally to get a zr1 from costco but I waited too long and it appears all they have left is the FH-20 now. I had also considered the Ricoh cx1 when it was on sale for $199 but I never ended up buying it and now it seems that deal is over. I guess the main piece of information I need if nothing else is Will the kodak z-915 serve me as well as or better than the canon a560 did when it was new?
Lady Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:41 PM   #2

Lady Almathea-

Yes, the Kodak Z-915 will save you money and do the job nicely. The FH-20 and the CX-1 were poor choices as they have very small and weak built-in flash units that really degrade their indoor image quality. The Z-915 has a very good built-in flash as long as you keep the camera to subject distance ant 12 feet and below.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:50 PM   #3

Thank you for the response, it was very helpful. I searched some old threads for information about the z-915 and I also came across some posts by you recommending the z950 as well. The ability to shoot video would be a huge bonus for me. Do you give anything up to gain the video ability or is the main consideration the higher price? Right now the z950 is $129 on amazon, so it is still well within our budget.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:58 PM   #4

z950 has HD video recording and they say it's recording is good. z915 has still VGA recording mode. But image quality is better in z915 if i am not wrong.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:59 PM   #5

Ah ok, I would rather have lower quality video and higher quality pictures than the other way around. Thanks for all the help!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:13 PM   #6

Lady A-

There is indeed a small "trade-off" involved. The Z-915 is 10mp with standard video. The Z-950 is 12mp with HD video. Both have 10X Optical Zoom and auto and manual controls. Because of a problem called "pixel density" the Z-915 and the Z-950 will have the same performance at lower ISO settings. However, the Z915, will have a slight image quality advantage at ISO settings above ISO 400.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote