Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which camera should I get??
Canon Rebel XS (1000D) 1 10.00%
Pentax Kx 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:27 PM   #1

Default the Nikon is out - new poll!

ok i really did not think i would be ruling out the nikon, but i am.
i think i have two real contenders, please help me decide which to get.
if you have reasons for or against one or the other please include.

Canon Rebel XS (1000D)
Pentax Kx
vinnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:31 PM   #2

k-x if you do not plan to get a ton of lenses down the road or go pro.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:34 PM   #3

i will not be going pro - just want to be a decent amateur.

don't want or need a bunch of lenses, just one or two

a friend of mine has a Nikon D60 with a 18-105 lens that seems to care for all her needs - she does not have any other lens.

which lens or lenses do you recommend for this camera? are the kit lenses any good? (18-55, 50-200, 55-300)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:36 PM   #4

the 18-55 and 55-300 combo would be my pick.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i would agree with that cam/lens selection
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:01 PM   #6

I would also agree with that camera and lens selection.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:52 PM   #7

although my mind is 99% made up, i have read a couple in-depth reviews of the K-x that have said the camera has a 'Flimsy-feeling build' - is this just because it is a little lighter? does it feel cheap? unfortunately i am buying this one on very good faith, but using the 15 day return policy if needed, because there is no one local that carries Pentax anymore.

Pentax says that the lighter build provides the ability for one-hand shooting - is this a cop out, or accurate?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:02 PM   #8
Super Moderator

build quality is pretty much on par with any entry level dslr. they are plastic and light yes, but no amateur is going to abuse it enough to pose any problems.

any "flimsy feel build" comments must have been in comparison to higher end (and consequently higher cost) models. its nothing to worry about though, its a solid entry level offering.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:17 PM   #9

my brother drop the camera in Greece while on a hiking trip. And there is not a scratch on it. And it works just fine. They are built quite well. If that helps.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:07 PM   #10

I would suggest the Kx for a number of reasons. It handles low light better, the kit lenses are a bit better that comes with the kit, and the 2 lens kit essentially takes care of everything you will probably ever need. They are reasonably sized along with the camera. I have an older K100 that is several generations older (entry level) that is still going strong, along with the kit lenses.

With the new announcement of the Pentax Kr model, the price of the Kx will be a tad softer now. I would actually go with the Kx rather than waiting for the Kr to ship in 6 to 8 weeks at a higher price. There is not really any difference that you would notice, and I would take advantage of the price difference.

The Kx turned out to be a wonderful camera for Pentax, it was well received and has won great reviews. I do not think that you could have made a better decision.

In terms of the review comment about the 'Flimsy-feeling build' which probably comes from some one handling much larger and heavier cameras all day. All the entry level cameras are built from high impact plastic resins, that are very durable. Pentax has specialized in small well engineered cameras with wonder ergonomics. They also have a wonderful reputation for lenses, along with their image coloring and the way they treat / retain details within the images.
" When you pick the K-x up for the first time and attach the supplied 18-55mm kit lens, this little DSLR actually feels quite impressive, despite its budget price-tag and all-plastic construction. Very little about the K-x build quality feels compromised - it even has a sturdy memory card door (typically a weak-point of entry-level DSLRs) and metal tripod mount in-line with the lens. "
" Build quality is very nice for an entry-level camera, with robust plastics and solid-feeling buttons and dials. The camera has a dense feel, very little flex, and no creaking noises in use, as you might find on other low-end dSLRs."
"Thanks to its good build quality and the relatively decent sized hand grip the K-x always feels stable and solid in your hands. All important functions are accessible either via hard buttons or the control panel (after a press of the INFO button). Together with the coherent menu systems this makes the camera easy to use, even for first-time DSLR-buyers. "
"Often, cameras will suffer poor build quality when price is low, but not in the case of the K-x. It's a solid camera with a nice metallic/silver trim wrapping around the front of the camera and an excellent feel in the hand."
So with this, I would not be bothered with one review comment.....

With respect to the one hand shooting - Yes, with this sized camera body it can be easily done, especially with the 18-55 lens. It may be a bit harder with the 55-300 lens, since it is telephoto and you would probably need to frame the shot through the viewfinder (particularly at 300mm). With the 18-55 you can very easily just sort of aim it in the general direction of what you want to shoot - especially at 18mm, and probably come away with a pretty good photo.

As I indicated, the 18-55 and the 55-300 are a wonderful combination. If like your friend, you feel you really do not need that much "telephoto", then the 50-200 is a pretty good lens. Pentax has a kit with that also. The 50-200 lens is a bit smaller than the 55-300 lens. The 55-300 is also better optically. Buying a packaged kit becomes a very economical way to start out - especially if that is all you think you will need. I think that I had figured it out that the 2 lens kit with the 55-300 is about 170 to 270 more than the body, which in terms of lens prices is pretty good.

hope that helps...

Last edited by interested_observer; Sep 11, 2010 at 9:16 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote