Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:23 AM   #1

Default Unsure and overwhelmed

I have finally decided to upgrade my Sony DSC-S50with only 2.1 mega pixels. I have been trying to get my son interested in something besides video games so I started taking him to the Wichita Mountains to hike and take pictures. We are having lots of fun but I have come to realize when I look at the pictures that the image quality could be a lot better. I am a novice but also an artist so I tend to be very critical of my work. I have not printed any of the pictures because I feel they would not turn out very well and be a waste of money. While the Sony has been a great camera I think it is time to move on. I have been looking for a few weeks I still have no idea of what to get. We have been taking a lot of landscapes and sunrise and set pictures. I would like a camera that is about the same size as the Sony or maybe even a little bigger that will take great pictures in low light settings. I would like to keep the price under $300.00 as well. I want to be able to afford the gas to continue our trips to the mountains (or as my son refers to it, the weekly torture). I have no idea of what camera to get and I guess I would just like someone to tell me what would be a good choice for me.
Here are a few of my favorite pictures so you can see what I have been doing.

Thanks an advance for all of your help,

Lily
Attached Images

Purelily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:09 AM   #2

The lake is great sharp enough for me but I would crop the bottom some. The ones with the lighting effects... I know what they say but I have a a very vivid imagination and I see things so that exciting Specially from me when I have seen a angel when I was young. the other two the lizard and the rocks man they were blown out in brightness and darkness. As for cameras there are so many out there I live on a budget and got a one thru Finger hut on payments not what I was wanting but it works great but as for three hundred for a good cam the spending fee should get up at the level other wise I would stay with what you have and try to focus more take more shots at different levels and angles etc...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:44 AM   #3

Unfortunately this is the quality I get with this camera. One of the problems I have down here in Oklahoma is the sun is strong and will wash out pictures real easy. You can see what I am talking about when you look at the cliffs. One is almost white and the other just a few minutes later are the pinkish tan (their real color). One of the other problems is that the granite can reflect a lot of light depending on how much quartz it has in it. Unfortunately mountain boomers donít like to hang around so that was the only picture I got of it. I was hoping with a better camera I would be able to make adjustments to it so I could avoid these problems.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:57 AM   #4

I think #5 is very artistic and a good photograph. #3 could be improved a lot through software. If you are going for digital photography, I guess, it's necessary to learn image editing software.

I also feel that you need to work on how to set up exposure and framing correctly. I'm also a novice like you. I've just shared my feelings with you. There are many experts in this forum who would guide you properly.

All the best, though!
Subhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:14 PM   #5

Purelily-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

There is a contradiction of terms in your post that has to be addressed first. Due to the small physical size of the imager used in your typical P+S camera, P+S cameras do not have the low light capability found in a typical DSLR camera. The best you can expect is good photos at ISO 800, and in a pinch, you might be able to use ISO 1600 by using good photo editing.

So, we are going to need the following:

1. Your budget?
2. The zoom desired?
3. Is physical size of the camera, a priority?
4. Some knowledge about your skills as a photographer?
5. Do you want to grow and learn as a photographer, or just record photos?

With that information, we can begin a detailed discussion to find you the right camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:31 PM   #6

1. I would like to stay under $300.00 if possible.
2. 10x or more.
3. Yes. I do not want something that will fit in my pocket.
4. I guess little skill. I have learned all I know through trial and error. I do not know all of the terminology but I play around with it till I get it to do what I want.
5. Yes I want to learn.

I want to shoot low light and normal light landscapes.

Last edited by Purelily; Sep 11, 2010 at 3:34 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:00 PM   #7

As we are new to photography, we might make mistakes while taking a photograph. Photographs are just not records, they are memories. We might not get back to that place again to take the same snap with corrected exposure or frame. Even if we, where will we get that lizard at that same position?

Just to encourage you (and your son) to learn image editing without throwing off your shots, I'm attaching processed images of two of your photographs.

I spent not more than 5 minutes in doing up those. Of course, there are scopes for further improvements. But then, they're just samples.

Hope this helps...
Attached Images

Subhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:50 PM   #8

Purelily-

Many thanks for answering our questions. There are two cameras that could meet your requirements quite nicely.

The Panasonic FZ-35 is selling for it all time low price of $300.00 It offers 18X Optical zoom (27mm to 486mm), full auto and manual controls, plus HD video with dual channel stereo sound.

The second camera is the Canon SX-130 12X Optical Zoom (28mm to 336mm), ful auto and manual controls, plus HD video with single channel monoaural sound.

Steve's has done a preview on the SX-130 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote